Solar greenhouse fans?

• 8 Replies

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
Solar greenhouse fans?
« on: July 17, 2007, 08:39 »
I got a solar greenhouse fan from ebay for £30. It works but it's only a 5 inch fan & not very powerfull. Does anyone know any way to increase the power of them in any way?  I'm thinking of maybe getting a bigger solar panel but cash is an issue. Has anyone ever connected a fan to a car battery or anything, or know anywhere selling more powerfull solar fans??

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
Solar greenhouse fans?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 06:55 »
Anyone?

mushroom

Solar greenhouse fans?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 08:21 »
I'd say a fan would be rated at a given voltage and power. If it is running at that rated voltage and power, and it is insufficient for your needs, then you need a bigger fan designed with enough oomph for the job, not more power, or you'll burn the motor out.

si-mate

• Experienced Member
Solar greenhouse fans?
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 09:53 »
I would think that to get a fan with enough power you would need a 240v fan. These are cheap enough but you will then either need mains electricity or a 12v car / leisure battery and an inverter. You will also need a way to recharge the battery - either take it home and plug it into the mains or get a solar panel.

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
Solar greenhouse fans?
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 06:59 »
What exactly is the job of an inverter?  I've done a quick look around on the net and they're quite expensive. I take it I would need a battery and an inverter but why not just the battery?  I need to brush up on my electrical knowledge.

mushroom

Solar greenhouse fans?
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 08:43 »
Quote from: "infowarrior"
What exactly is the job of an inverter?  I've done a quick look around on the net and they're quite expensive. I take it I would need a battery and an inverter but why not just the battery?  I need to brush up on my electrical knowledge.

I think an inverter is the opposite of a transformer. Converts 12V DC to 240V AC

si-mate

• Experienced Member
Solar greenhouse fans?
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 09:33 »
I don't know the why's and wherefores but as said you need to change the 12v DC from the battery into 240v AC that a mains powered fan (or any other item) needs.

If you go down this route make sure that the inverter you get is 'man' enough for what you want to run from it. Argos do a 350w for £39.99 which should be plenty for a large fan. We have a heavy duty fan at work which needs 170w. It would probably drain the battery fairly quickly though.

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
Solar greenhouse fans?
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 21:10 »
Ok, cheers for the replies.  I was also wondering if its possible in any way to wire up a mains powered electric fan to a solar panel to use with solar power instead of mains electric?  I'm thinking it's probably not possible but just thought I'd ask.

Cheers.

si-mate

• Experienced Member
Solar greenhouse fans?
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 10:55 »
You can by using a solar panel, leisure battery and inverter - all apropriately rated. Won't be cheap mind.

xx
Solar powered greenhouse fans.

Started by infowarrior on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2007, 22:32
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Good solar fan for greenhouse ?

Started by hubballi on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post January 16, 2012, 21:49
by Ice
xx
Here's one for us rotovator fans

Started by richyrich7 on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 09:23
by richyrich7
xx
Solar panel

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post November 26, 2009, 22:24
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 35 queries.