Confused re Cucumbers

• 4 Replies

Marcus10

Confused re Cucumbers
« on: May 01, 2013, 10:26 »
Hi, I am confused as to growing cucumbers re all female/ridge types etc.

Last year I grew Cucino F1 (mini all female type) and Burpless Tasty F1 (ridge type with both female and males flowers) in the greenhouse. Apart from what I think was attacks from red spider mite or thrips, all was successful and crops of both were good with no bitter fruits. Was I just lucky that I got no bitter fruits or was it because they were both F1s?

This year I am growing the same but also Cornichon de Paris which is an outdoor variety. I am worried re getting bitter fruits if I grow this indoors. Do I need to grow this outside? and should I also not have the other two in the same grrenhouse, in principle?

Can anyone help?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Confused re Cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 11:50 »
You were lucky last year  ;) perhaps because the weather was so dire there were fewer pollinating insects about.

All female types don't need pollinating and should be kept away from any cukes with male flowers.
The Burpless and the Cornichon de Paris need their male flowers to set fruit, but both will grow outdoors once frosts are over  :)

davejg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 14:42 »
 :D Was wondering about Cornichon de Paris Which i thought was a gherkin, thanks for the info

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 17:53 »
It is a small pickling cucumber  ;)

Marcus10

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 22:06 »
Thanks for your reply. I must have been so lucky last year. In fact they were so close to each other that they actually shared the same canes across the roof!

I may just have to cross my fingers until the frost are over. I've got a half grown Burpless Cuc at the moment.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 41 queries.