Snotty Chicken

• 7 Replies

Chicken_Lover

• Experienced Member
  • R.I.P you two beautiful ladies:(
Snotty Chicken
« on: July 01, 2011, 20:28 »
One of my new Warren hens has been really snotty and things, any advice on this and how to cure it?
1 Leghorn Cockerel, 2 Warrens, 4 Lemon Goldfish and 1 Jack Russell, One Big Party!!!!!! :D :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Snotty Chicken
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 23:23 »
Think this needs to be MOVED to The Hen House if there is a Mod online.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ANHBUC

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 23:49 »
Hope you get some advice soon Chicken_Lover.  If you could give some more information on your hen and her symptoms it should help you to get a diagnosis.  Good luck.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 00:39 »
My Light Sussex got a snotty nose when she first came here - I think the change of environment and stress of the move can get them a bit run-down.  My other chickens have all had sneezes and runny noses at different times and all got over it by themselves.  With the LS it developed into a chest infection and she needed a vet visit for some atibiotics.

My advice would be not to worry at the moment, but keep an eye on her for any worsening symptoms.  In the mean time make sure she has good food, plenty of water, and a draft-free coop (just as you would do for all your girls).

You could also put a bit of Apple Cider Vinegar in the water, and some crushed garlic in their food.  The garlic helps boost the immune system (just as it does in humans) and the ACV helps to reduce the mucous.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 01:25 »
Here's my reference for the Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) suggestion:

ASTRINGENT SOLUTION

This solution can be given to birds suffering from respiratory diseases that produce a large amount of mucus exudate.  The solution will help 'cut through' the mucus and allow it to be expelled easier.

4 teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar diluted into one gallon* of water

The tannin in the ACV aids in removing any mucus or coating from the mouth, throat, or intestinal tract. Nutrients and drugs are more readily absorbed.  Offer this solution as the only drinking water source for two to three day intervals.

- from Dr Tom W Smith, Emertus Professor of Poultry Science, Mississippi State University.
http://www.poultry.msstate.edu/extension/pdf/extsoln.pdf

*NB:
1 gallon (US) = 3.8 litres
1 gallon (UK) = 4.5 litres
But the dilution rate is not crucial, so 4 or 5 teaspoons of ACV in a gallon of water would be fine.

Dear Hillfooter,
Thank you for keeping me on my toes and making me supply references.
Yours sincerely
Lindeggs

Chicken_Lover

• Experienced Member
  • R.I.P you two beautiful ladies:(
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 17:16 »
Thank you, she has gotten better now from medication recommended by our neighbor, thank you anyway. :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 17:22 »
Thank you, she has gotten better now from medication recommended by our neighbor, thank you anyway. :)

Please share your hens symptoms and treatment with us as it may help someone else in the future if they experience something similar.   :D

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 17:29 »

Please share your experience with the rest of us, symptoms and treatment as it may help another member in the future.   ;)

xx
Sneezing Chicken with Snotty Nose

Started by bracken1 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 14:04
by woodside farm
xx
Snotty eggs.

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 19, 2009, 20:53
by HENrietta
xx
sneezing and snotty chickens

Started by wcah on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 10:43
by Casey76
xx
Sneezing, snotty broody

Started by JaK on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 18:28
by joyfull

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 39 queries.