broody advice

• 2 Replies

andy46

• Experienced Member
broody advice
« on: July 23, 2015, 22:08 »
Hi would like some advice please. I have got one of my girls gone broody for the last three weeks and cant get her out of it after trying different things I have read about. On my facebook I have a lady selling week old chicks and am so tempted to buy one for my broody hen do you think this would work and would she accept it as her own? also would the other three girls try to attack it? would I need to buy chick crumb. Andy  :unsure:
Pull up a perch!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: broody advice
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 07:47 »
if the chick isn't feather or colour sexed you could have a male - what would you do with that?
It would also be best to get at least 2 if not more rather than just 1.
She may not accept it especially as she has been broody for 3 weeks - they normally start coming out of broodiness around 3-4 weeks.
Yes the others may attack it but the broody often will cover the chicks to protect them.
Yes you need chick crumb and if you buy one that is medicated then you need to stop the others that are laying from eating it.
I always had my broodies and chicks in a different coop but let them out with the others after a morning feed - this way they could mix with the other hens, then after a couple of hours popped them back in their own coop and run.
Staffies are softer than you think.

grinling

Re: broody advice
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 14:55 »
I use similar to a hutch with weld mesh instead of a wooden base. I put a food and water on bricks inside and lock Roberta in. I let her out after a couple of days to see if she is back to normal.

xx
Broody advice

Started by Bobbie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 10:43
by Vember
xx
Broody need advice.

Started by 22fox on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 19:09
by chuckmum
xx
Advice on broody please

Started by ness on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 19, 2008, 11:12
by Lost in France
xx
Advice on broody hen please

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post May 10, 2012, 23:31
by sarajane

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 35 queries.