worming chickens and black rock with bare bum!

• 4 Replies

nic n dave

worming chickens and black rock with bare bum!
« on: September 08, 2011, 17:00 »
im due to worm my chickens for the first time since having them - got them earlier this year, ive googled the products but there is so many of them i dont know what is best, so many brands and some liquid some pellets etc etc.
also my black rock has recently got a bald bum, im assuming this is moulting as i regulary put mite and lice powder in the coup and have never seen any so could it just be moulting?

orchardlady

Re: worming chickens and black rock with bare bum!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 21:44 »
Welcome to the forum. Flubenvet is the product you need for worming. It comes in two types of strength 1% and 2.5%. It is more economical to purchase the 2.5% if you have lots of hens. You can also buy Marriages Layers Pellets that have been 'doctored' with Flubenvet but it is quite expensive. The layers pellets option is quite good for a newbie but you will need to pluck up the courage to work out proportions etc for the powdered type at some point. There is lots of advice here and it is really easy once you've done it once and have got your head round it. The bare bum is  probably because of moulting but also look really really closely for mites in the bedding and in nooks and carnies in the house and lice on the birds. One way to check for mites is to go out once the hens have gone to bedd with a piece of loo paper or kitchen roll and run it along the bottom of the birds roosting bars. If there are red flecks on the paper the hen house has a mite infestation and it will need to be treated.
Again theres lots of advice here.

Orchardlady :)

nic n dave

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 22:08 »
thankyou very much, also are the eggs still ok to eat while im worming them?

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 08:16 »
There is no egg withdrawal period with flubendazole (Flubenvet) which is a recommended wormer - there are other wormers out there, but they often have egg withdrawal periods.

If you buy the 1% Flubenvet it is very easy to use...

1 scoop (provided) of Flubenvet is mixed with 2kg of layers pellets, and this is the only feed you give your hens for 7 days.  If you run out of pellets then make up another 2kg batch.

You can add a tablespoon or so of olive oil to the pellets to helt make the powder stick and remain evenly distributed, but it then has to be used quickly as the oil will go rancid. :)

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 22:24 »
I've just wormed my 8 girls for the 1st time and it waas easy-peasy (despite my previous concern over getting the mix right).

Flubenvet 1% : 1 scoop from the tub mixed with 2kg of pellets (about a big sweet tin full - I use the plastic tins that come with celebrations - small c so it doesn't look like a brand!). 

Slosh in some cooking oil and mix it really thoroughly - I used my hands then washed them.

Put into the usual feeder & watch it disappear: I'm sure mine loved the oil flavour as they ate loads more pellets than usual.

Monitor the feeder & mix up some more as necessary.  Don't do too much at a time as you have to chuck out what is left after the 7 day period.

Simples.   Just hard to resist the reproachful eyes when they don't get their corn and other treats!
ManicMum

xx
black rock chickens

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 19:30
by animal mad
xx
BLACK ROCK

Started by JACDORE on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 28, 2012, 16:32
by JACDORE
xx
Black rock

Started by Beano on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2021, 16:16
by steven c
xx
black rock...not quite right...help

Started by darby on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 21:01
by Foxy

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 39 queries.