fox attack to day

• 10 Replies

GARRY

fox attack to day
« on: February 14, 2010, 23:57 »
hi not been on for some time ,due to work..went out in the garden at 7 am to let the hens out. to day a fox i think had got in and killed all my hens and removed  the heads and necks..left them in a line in the center of the run.not a nice thing first thing in the morning..i feel sick abouth it all the hard work looking after them in all this bad weather .and thay where looking so good .had them from chicks thay were 2 years old and eggs all the time ..i live in north london near the m1,i am told there are more foxs than dogs in london now i dont know if i will get more hens again now after this..so keep your hens safe.thay did not eat them just killed them..bring back fox hunting  :(
GARRY

Brian Green fingers

Re: fox attack to day
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 00:20 »
That's soul destroying... Gutted for you Garry.

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 01:42 »
Sorry to hear your bad news.  How did the fox get in were they shut in a house or in a run? 

I'm affraid the fox problem in urban areas is becoming a real problem these days and the town fox seems much bolder than it's country cousin.  Although there are lots of foxes around here they tend to keep their distance from people whereas I've even seen a fox walking along the pavement within a few hundred yards of the Houses of Parlament like a dog with people all around.  Although fox hunting in reality never killed enough foxes to control them it did have the effect of giving them a healthy fear of people.
HF
Truth through science.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 08:31 »
Urban foxes are now almost a seperate species from their cousin the rural fox. Unfortunatly many people in towns and citys are pleased to see them and will insist on leaving food out for them which leads to a growth boom of foxes that show no fear of humans. Most foxes are killed by the motorist not hunting.
Don't give up Garry but make a stronger fully enclosed run out of weldmesh (try Hills of Devon as they deliver next day and are very reasonable), either dig in in down to a level of 8 inches plus or even have the bottom of the run weld mesh and then topped off with chippings so they can still scratch. Make sure your run has a secure roof - this in turn will stop predators and also keep the rain and snow out.
You have had your girls for two years and have thoroughly enjoyed their company and the looking after them and in return they have thanked you by laying eggs every day.
Huge hugs from me xxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 08:38 »
Sorry to hear the bad news Garry. I've had it happen two years ago, so I know how you must feel. Please dont let it put you off, just put it down to nature been a ****. >:(
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

matilda duck

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 10:04 »
Please don't give up!! If you do the fox has well and truly won!!
We are all here for you, think hard before just giving up. I know it soul destroying.
Chin up you gave them a great life whilst they were in your care.

Jeanette

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 12:25 »
Please please dont give up. The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago if the fox had killed for food for me it would of been better but just to kill for the sake of it seems to me to make it worse.
   If you enjoyed keeping chickens and loved having them, by depriving yourselve of something that you get enjoyment from then the fox has won. But ido know how much it hurts. Sending hugs (((((((()))))))))

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 12:53 »
I too am sorry for your loss. I often wonder how I'd react if a fox got to my girls, especially as a vixen has been calling in the copse behind my house recently. Its a typical knee jerk reaction to say bring back hunting but when did you ever see a hunt in full gallop down a city street after an urban fox? It will never happen, far too dangerous for their precious horses!
Trying to remain pragmatic about the issue I remember a story my father told me about a friend of his who lost all his chickens to a fox - instead of getting rid of the bodies he left them for the fox which then returned and gradually took them all away. To say that a fox kills randomly and not for food couldn't be further from the truth - we have the luxury of being able to wheel our purchases away in a trolley and stock up our larders whereas a fox can only move one or two at a time, it kills to stop them from getting away.
Unfortunately it's a harsh side of nature that causes us so much sadness and I'm not trying to belittle your loss in any way, just trying to help you understand why the fox behaves as it does.
I really am very sorry... ((O))

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 13:32 »
Foxes do ocassionally stow away their kills in a larder.  Our menage when we had just sand in it was often used by foxes to bury pheasants.  We'd notice after rain or a strong wind, wings sticking out of the sand!

I don't dislike seeing foxes and reckon we have all got to live togther somehow and they do keep down the rabbits just so long as they leave my chx alone.  Since I've used nets with an energizer I've not lost a chicken in 10 years.  It does seem to work well despite the fact they can easily jump it as it's only 40inches high.  Well worth the investment.
HF

GARRY

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 14:59 »
thank you all .for your help..

Feathers

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 19:02 »
thats heartbreaking so sorry

xx
omg fox attack

Started by ganner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 20:42
by RigsVilleBird
xx
Cat attack?

Started by Stewart P on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 30, 2013, 21:41
by barley
xx
Fox attack

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2016, 17:43
by danfinn1
xx
Fox attack

Started by clairerey on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 16, 2011, 08:52
by Beano

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 36 queries.