Feeders

• 8 Replies

snow white

Feeders
« on: February 10, 2014, 13:24 »
Out of interest what type of feeder do you use, have you used and are hoping to use and your experiences of them.   

I have the normal feeders where the feed trickles out of gaps in the bottom, but they keep clogging up as it is so wet.  I keep them under cover but they still clog.  Looking to change maybe.... :blush:

ghost61

Re: Feeders
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 14:51 »
I use the same and have a couple of cage cups in case of squabbles. My run is well protected from the rain, though, so I don't have any problems with food getting wet.  You can get feeders with 'hats' that help protect from the rain, or you could try a treadle feeder?

Prod

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 15:00 »
Hi  I have tried different types of feeders from plastic to Granpa's Feeder.  The GF can be expensive (I got mine half price as it was a 2nd, but I cant find any damage and the only missing bit is one that stops feed flicking out but I think that is extra anyway) but I bought mine because I was basically feeding the wild birds too. The chickens soon get used to using it. The other method I use is 'spring' feeders, where you use a bucket or tub (with lid) drill a hole in the bottom and pop the spring in, when the chickens peck the spring a few pellets drop out and, again they soon work it out. Both methods have actually saved me money as I buy less pellets than I did before. Just make sure that the pellets don't get wet and go mouldy. I also use 'nipples' for the water  container as it keeps the water cleaner, and you can add things like ACV and not waste it like you might with a plastic type.
I guess every one has there own favourites.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 15:57 »
mine use a bog stand feeder and under good cover so have no problem with dampness.

on another forum, someone got excited about this contraption - advertised more as a vermin resistant feeder.  Apparently not that difficult to set up  http://triggerhappychickens.co.uk/

barley

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 17:15 »
I use old heavy duty saucepans - nice and deep so the monkeys can't flick it everywhere or tip them over

nice and easy to wash out and I can put lids on to keep birds off when the girls have finished scoffing

I also change drinking water saucepan twice a day - just take a clean watering can full of water when I go to check eggs  :D

splash101

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 21:30 »
I use one of these. I too got sick of the bottom clogging with the regular feeders

http://www.regencypoultry.com/feeders/plasticfeeders/plastic_combo_feeder.htm

For their water, I use a 2 litre bucket. It doesnt tip and very easy to clean and doesnt freeze over easily.

I only have 5 bantams and it works for me. If i had a lot of hens I would probably look at a treadle feeder or a spring feeder

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 08:11 »

For their water, I use a 2 litre bucket. It doesnt tip and very easy to clean and doesnt freeze over

I used empty horse supplement buckets for the same reasons to great effect. Iwould not go back - if the water freezes it is easy to remove ice but impossible in usual waterers. Also much easier to keep clean. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 22:06 »
A treadle feeder - keeps the wild birds, rats and mice out of the food. If you get one get the British made one - we have one of those and a cheaper imported version, which somehow allows the chickens to shovel food all over the floor!

For the water we use the auto-drinker galv troughs - hooked up to the water supply via a hose. Great for the summer - but disconnected for the winter and used as normal troughs.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 15:14 »
The only time I use feeders is when I'm worming them to make sure they get all their feed. The rest of the time I scatter it for them to pick up. I think this gives them something to do and also is more natural for them.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

xx
feeders in or out

Started by audi on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 26, 2010, 08:34
by joyfull
xx
feeders

Started by chicken king on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2009, 08:28
by adi
xx
feeders

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 03, 2014, 08:54
by Sassy
xx
feeders

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 14:10
by WR1

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 29 queries.