Help, think I have a poorly hen.

• 11 Replies

knittywittywoo

Help, think I have a poorly hen.
« on: April 21, 2009, 13:00 »
We started with 2 brown hens last July and recently bought a bigger coop and run and have increased to 6 adding 2 POL blue stars and 2 POL black rocks. After the initial pecking order everything settled down and they get on fine now. I ma getting 4 eggs a day.

I am worried about 1 of the black rocks. I have been keeping my eye on her for the past few days.

She is always the last out the house, first in ( at least 45 minutes before the others ), she has no interest in anything, when they come out to roam she walks for abit and then sunbathes, she has no interest in scratting about like the others. She came out this morning into the run and then has spent the past 2 hours in the nesting box ( doing nothing ). I haven't seen her eat this morning although she has drunk some water. Her tail has been mostly down at the weekend but she seems to be holding it up now. I have checked the poo and theres no worms but she has just done a white liquid one. ( checked the poo page and that indicated kidney trouble ).
I don't think she is laying yet as her comb is still a pink colour.
I have handled her and can't find / feel  anything.
I'm thinking of seperating her from the others and trying to get some fromage frais down her or some spaghetti just so I know she's eaten something.

What can I do, does anyone have any advice?
I am planning to get some poultry spice as soon as I can but it will probably be the weekend.

Vember

Re: Help, think I have a poorly hen.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 13:17 »
Have you been able to feel at her crop before she's had any food? If she's not eaten it should feel empty :)

Sarah :)

knittywittywoo

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 13:43 »
I have just moved her into the old coop / run on her own and she's started walking about.
 I still can't feel anything wrong but she definately hasn't eaten. I have put some food and water and a fromage frais in with her as she did have a few bits of fromage frais as I moved her. I am also cooking some spaghetti to see if she will eat that. I just want to see her eat something I don't care what.
I'm also on poo alert to see what her next ones will look like.

knittywittywoo

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 19:47 »
I have had her in the house, in a crate for the past 3 hours. She has just laid there occasionally getting up to change position.
I have spoken to the farm we got her from and he said these things happen and offered to change her :(
She will still drink water so I am trying to think positive, she's also taken abit of bread.
I've just made her comfortable in the old coop with some tasty titbits, food and water, although to be honest I am not expecting her to survive the night.
I have put a tiny amount of childrens calpol medicine in the water. Might work but if not I'm hoping she will go in her sleep. If not tomorrow I will bathe her in some warm water.
I cannot believe how upsetting it is.

mumsy

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 21:35 »
Please don't bathe her................if she is really unwell it may make her worse.  She may have been at the bottom of the pecking order, putting a few feeders & drinkers around give the ones that are being a bit bullied a  better chance of eating.  I do hope that she will be ok, but very generous of the seller to offer to replace. If she is eating bread, it needs to be wet, not dry.  Not too sure about the calpol, this could be making her drowsy.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 21:37 by mumsy »

sessyplum

• www.doula-birth.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 21:41 »
Aww.. I'm new to this forum but wanted to pop on and give my support. Can't offer any advice i'm afraid as Im a novice hen keeper as well. I hope she gets better over night- keep us posted x

Hawkins

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 21:49 »
I havent got much advice either sorry but good luck with her.

If she is still poorly tomorrow and you are worried it may be worth a trip to the vet, she may have picked up a bug and need some antibiotics. They normally give baytril to chooks.

Mine was poorly a few weeks ago with runny poo, empty crop and very lethargic and not eating but after some tlc and antibitocs and a week in the house she is back with the others and eating like mad. She has an off dau but is 150% better,

See how it goes, good luck
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 21:55 »
Have to say unless you have objective evidence that she is in pain or has a temperature wouldn't give her the calpol. I'm guessing that hen can have it as ducks can but if you are not treating her for pain or fever which it can help then it is just another toxin her body has to deal with.

Hope she gets better but would seeks a vets advice before treating her with anything.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

knittywittywoo

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 23:15 »
Thanks for all your good wishes.
I did only put a small bit of calpol, about 1/3 a sachet in a large margerine tub of water so the tiny amount I wouldn't think would harm her. She doesn't seem in pain, no crying when moving but then again not alot of moving.
The bathing idea came up in case she is egg bound as I don't believe she has laid yet at all. I am hoping she is coming into lay and just reacting badly but I think I am clutching at straws now.
I will let you know if she has survived the night.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 23:29 »
fingers crossed for you  :(
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

knittywittywoo

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 09:17 »
Just been down fully expecting her to be gone but she is still here.
I have brought her back into the house so I can keep a closer eye on her.
She is still drinking, is that a good sign or am I just putting off the inevitable?

Apart from being still she looks fine but I still need to see her walk yet. Anyhow ahe's still alive so I'm still hoping.

Vember

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 10:30 »
Might it be an idea to take her to a vets? That way you can be sure it's nothing nasty that could be passed on to your other birds ???

Sarah :)

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
poorly hen

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post October 15, 2007, 20:23
by muntjac
xx
Another Very poorly hen; can anyone help?

Started by NewtoChickens on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 10:00
by compostqueen
xx
Not sure if i have a poorly hen.

Started by TamCal on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 16:37
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 39 queries.