POL in Cheshire, Where???

• 8 Replies

mum2many

« on: February 28, 2007, 10:24 »
Can anyone recomend someone in Cheshire to buy POL Buff Orpingtons and Welsummers from? The nearer to Crewe the better.

Cant seem to find any, and those I have (that are miles away) are charging between £13 and £18 which Munty says is too much.
Em x
Already got names for my chooks but dont tell "Tom"
organic? non organic? not a clue only just started

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 12:31 »
£18 a bird  :shock:  dammm im in the wrong business , why do these creeps take advantage of the newbies. :x
still alive /............

mum2many

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 12:49 »
I know, nearly wet myself seeing those prices, no way we could afford more than 1 paying that much.

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 12:53 »
ok why do you want chickens? how many do you want ? can you afford to look after them ok ?

karl ya a nosy sod ....... well see if ya cant afford hybrids maybe you can get some cheaper farmyard ones that wil do just a good a job ., or even go and have some  battery birds to start with and wait gain experiance with them and then have some hybrids at a later date  :)

mum2many

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 12:57 »
We want fresh eggs not the dodo from tesco, only choose Welsummers and Orpingtons after reading your advice.
we could afford them at £15 each (would like 4) but would rather spend less and use the money on a good house for them, good run and good food.

Need to have "friendly" hens with having the kids

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 13:01 »
my advice is subject to monetary change ,,,,, i can afford most of what i suggest  :wink:   leave it with me for a couple days  wil see what i can come up with  :wink:

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 21:27 »
Quote from: "mum2many"
We want fresh eggs not the dodo from tesco, only choose Welsummers and Orpingtons after reading your advice.
we could afford them at £15 each (would like 4) but would rather spend less and use the money on a good house for them, good run and good food

Need to have "friendly" hens with having the kids

Em, my advice - after being ripped off previously - is goto a farmers market (look on net for local one) where you will pick up all types of birds for next to nothing, and meet a load of decent, likeminded people in with the bargain!  The most I have seen birds go for at these places is about a fiver, and that was expensive.  I got some marans today actually from such a place £2.50 each, and that was over the odds but I wanted them.

The second thing I would suggest is to hatch some eggs - either with a broody hen or incubator (build one from a kit if cost is an issue).  This way you know the age of the birds, health condition, and if you keep them get the best laying year out of them.  I think it very rewarding and fun to do it this way too - good for kids aswell, mine love looking after the chicks.  You can pick up 12 eggs from around a £1 upwards.  Depends on how busy the market gets, or if there are kids buying them for ebay (*!?&*$%!!).

Good luck.

shaun

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 21:45 »
try chelford or beeston markets mum,
that chap on the barbridge towards wardle on the left  might help you opposite car transplants big sign saying free range eggs :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

The Chicken Lady

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 09:12 »
tryJames Oulton 01270 258685 or F & C Jones 01270 811682 Not sure exactly where they are but I think should be somewhere near you. :)

xx
Layers pellets in Cheshire...

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 00:35
by Hen 1-0 Fox
xx
khaki campbells anywhere near cheshire !!!

Started by daveinmanc on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post November 29, 2007, 15:49
by daveinmanc
xx
Poulltry vets in Mid Cheshire

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 20:37
by Aunt Sally
xx
north staffordshire and south cheshire chicken vet

Started by grumpydad on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 22:20
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 28 queries.