What's Wrong with my Chicken???

• 2 Replies

Blondie

« on: April 24, 2008, 20:35 »
Please can you help me as one of my chickens isn't right today. I only have two and I have had them for nearly a year. They are both normally full of life, jumping about, greedy and squaking all the time but today Mildred isn't happy. She was fine this morning when I let them out and this afternoon when my mum gave them their corn but after dinner tonight Mildred was quiet, not bothered about her green or her favourite food tomatoes and just stood in the corner at the back of the run in the dark. I put them out on the lawn to have a free roam and she's just walked slowly about/ stood on the spot. Any ideas what's wrong with her??

They eat well, eating a whole litre feeder and more a day, plus get corn and sunflower hearts and greens. I would say they are a little thin though although not to look at, you can feel their breast bone quiet easily. They have water with apple cider vinegar in for their tummys and are clean out every week. I have no red mites and their house and themsleves are dusted regularly.

Mildred is bright eyed, no runny bottom end, nice red combs and wattle so i'm confused as to why she is so glum.

Any ideas would be welcomed!

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 20:38 »
We had a similar experience last week. One of our 6 was standing in a dark corner of the run, not wanting to move and no interest in food.

That night she laid 2 soft eggs and was fine the next day.

They do become very listless prior to laying a soft egg as apparently it takes a lot out of them.

There are of course, other possibilities but hopefully it's nothing more than this.

Rob

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 21:11 »
It could be a number of different problems.  All you can do is keep an eye on her at present.

xx
what's wrong with my chicken ??

Started by Little jack on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 02, 2009, 11:32
by Flowerpower136
exclamation
What is wrong with my chicken.

Started by Betty Boo on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 01, 2010, 12:09
by Beano
xx
What's wrong with my chicken's legs?

Started by RachelD on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 23:27
by RachelD
xx
Chicken with dioreah? diet wrong?

Started by Charlee on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 20, 2006, 21:44
by Ian_P

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 28 queries.