NEW ALLOTMENT. I need some advice please.

• 3 Replies

Jabba2006

« on: November 13, 2006, 14:29 »
I have just appointed an area of my garden for an allotment (about 15 foot by 20 foot with a 2 foot wide boarder all around it) & am currently getting rid of the grass & weeds. Next I will be turning it over. I was then going to manure the whole plot but from reading the forum, I am not now convince that I should do this. I have also been told that I should put weed killer over the whole plot but am not convince of this either.
 Could you please tell me what I should be doing to get my plot ready for planting ?

I have also been told that I need to plant certain things at the begining, just to work the soil.
 Is there any truth in this ?

I have also just incorperated a compost bin & am hoping for some nice compost in about 9 months.
Jarrod

Brighton,
East Sussex.

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 15:10 »
if you want to use poison do so ,roundup will fix any problems you have .spray and leave for a month at this time of year . then dig the whole lot over trench style ( see gardening book )add manure-compost to any area you will not be planting root crops  then leave till spring and plant what you want to in spring rake over and plant  remembering not to plant root on fresh manure etc .some people say plant potatoes to clean the ground this is just a fallacy as all you do when you dig them up is clean any rubbish out anyways .plant anything that takes your fancy according to the packets and you will soon find what will grow in your area. take notice of other plots and what they grow , ask for advice and take what you consider is good , have fun and enjoy  what you produce .

for a non poison alternative .fork the ground over from one end to the other taking out all rubbish and dump it . then feed the manure by spreading it on the top soil  to the areas again with no root crops going in ,and leave over winter .come spring trench dig the lot as before rake level and plant hope that helps .others may offer different advice but this is how i do it in both cases :wink:
still alive /............

hermon

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 15:37 »
i would just weed as much as you can you will keep on top of it if you do it often weed killers arn't needed you will feel better if you do it all your self!

noshed

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 16:25 »
Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject:      
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Jabba and welcome
If you're clearing it of weeds you don't need to use weedkiller as well - unless you have any perennial monsters.
There's a good article on here about clearing a plot so have a look at that. You could dig it over roughly and leave it to overwinter with manure or without. Or you could have a shot at garlic,onions and early peas and beans when you've cleared a bit. Just make sure you get the ones which will over winter.
Being in Brighton it won't get that cold, unless you're up on the downs, so you can take a few liberties with things probably.
People tell you to grow spuds to break the ground up but I think that's mainly done by the digging you do to plant them and dig them up!
Unless your ground is very heavy clay you can just cultivate it normally ( in my case anarchicly). Grow what you like eating.
PS have shifted the other posting out of general gardening to avoid confusion
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
New allotment advice

Started by johnyboy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 20:08
by Yorkie
xx
New allotment - just a bit of advice.........

Started by Kezbomb30 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 18:03
by Yorkie
xx
New allotment advice

Started by the storm fisherman on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 09, 2014, 18:04
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 38 queries.