Anyone grow a Loquat ?????

• 9 Replies

Beetroot Queen

Anyone grow a Loquat ?????
« on: May 15, 2015, 08:41 »
Oppppsss one fell into my cart, no idea where its going but i love something new lol
Hubby will kill me as we have a red and white currant coming too. Lol he said he had some spare beds on the fruit plot. What did he expect me to do.   :lol:

Beetroot Queen

Re: Anyone grow a Loquat ?????
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 09:56 »
Now I am intrigued by this plant, just read that it rarely produces fruit outside of cornwall or sheltered london gardens but What I cant seem to find is can I put it in a pot in a conservatory.

Always up for a mad challenge

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 10:40 »
My mum in law had one in her garden, a present from bro in law. Grew big, about 12 ft, with no fruit or flowers over many years here in sunny Nottingham!  It didn't seem to get frost damaged tho.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:56 »
Flowers late autumn or should and produces fruit early spring, would be great if I could do it.

FN

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 11:22 »
I've got one growing in a (very large) pot in my front garden. Currently 5 years old, about 5ft tall. Flowers last autumn but no fruit yet. Seen a couple in other south London garden and my nan used to have one in her garden (in Tel Aviv though!) and they get enormous. Beautiful fruit though - childhood memories...

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 13:15 »
I've got one growing in a (very large) pot in my front garden. Currently 5 years old, about 5ft tall. Flowers last autumn but no fruit yet. Seen a couple in other south London garden and my nan used to have one in her garden (in Tel Aviv though!) and they get enormous. Beautiful fruit though - childhood memories...

I read something about protecting the blossom or getting no fruit but didnt say against what????

FN

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 18:49 »
So I askedy neighbour who has a tree and she that she doesn't do anything to it and still gets plenty of fruit. However, she had the tree for 8 years before it started fruiting so mine is probably just too young. She gave me a bag of frozen loquats as well - bonus!

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 18:55 »
So I askedy neighbour who has a tree and she that she doesn't do anything to it and still gets plenty of fruit. However, she had the tree for 8 years before it started fruiting so mine is probably just too young. She gave me a bag of frozen loquats as well - bonus!

Is it in a very sheltered spot, just want to get the right spot for it

FN

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 19:05 »
Mine is in an east facing front garden against the wall so I can cover if frosty. My neighbours is in the back, so west facing but I'm not sure exactly where in the garden re light levels and shelter.

Flowertot

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 22:32 »
I would try the warmest, sunniest, most sheltered spot you can find. I grew up with a huge one we used to climb in our back garden and that was in very hot South Australia.

xx
Nespola or Loquat tree for South East UK?

Started by fekq on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 17, 2012, 09:24
by Swing Swang
clip
To grow or not to grow, that is the question

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 20:54
by Pescador
xx
melons... to grow on or not to grow on

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 13:32
by JayG
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 32 queries.