Growing on a slope advice please

• 4 Replies

purplebean

Growing on a slope advice please
« on: May 09, 2015, 11:57 »
Haven't been around for ages mainly because my garden is such a mess that I cannot grow anything (doing a great job with weeds though). But we are hoping to sort it out this year and need advice

Our garden is on a slope not a horrendous rope needed slope but a slope nontheless. I had been planning on putting in raised beds so that I have a level growing space. The plan was one 6" board at the top and three at the bottom and then fill with soil (yes I know it will need a lot and be expensive). Then two weeks ago I was sorting out the front garden (flat) and all of the pinks from last year were growing happily again, yet in the back where I already have two raised beds (no where near as deep as these others will be) the pinks had not survived.

This got me thinking, my onions will not grow in these raised beds and the only time I grew potatoes in them they had the worst scab ever. Now I am wondering if the raised beds are an issue for some plants. I want to grow spuds, onions, cabbage, brussels sprouts as well as salad stuff and beans and all sorts of things.

So now I am thinking should we just make an edging (but what with?) around each "bed" to stop the soil moving and just grow on a slope? Origininal plan was for gravel paths in between the beds which I could still do if I edge them, don't just want mud or grass between them

What would you do?

Goosegirl

Re: Growing on a slope advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 12:52 »
Hi PB. Not knowing what type of soil you have, how much top-soil you have and its pH, it's a bit difficult to say what could be causing your growing problems. Scab on pots is usually due to too much lime or a rather alkaline soil. Growing on a slope will make any water drain downwards onto the lower beds, so as long as they aren't getting waterlogged, you could use them for the more moisture-loving veg. You could terrace the slope and add the dug-out soil to the beds as you go and make your paths using weed-suppressant membrane topped with bark chips (ask a local tree surgeon or the council if they have any going spare). For edging try contacting a scaffolding firm for used scaffolding planks. Mine are about 8" high.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 17:09 »
Hi purplebean. Good to "see" you again  :D

I am not sure why plants would not survive in raised beds. I grow like this at the plot and everything is fine.

Do you have very shallow top soil and so in creating level beds you have inadvertently planted at the top end in subsoil? Just a thought.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

nannytroll

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 14:09 »
my veg plots are on a South facing slope, and while it can be a pain to work on , there are benefits. On average my crops are 3 weeks earlier than a neighbour with a flat plot, and because it drains well, I can work in the plot 24 hours after the usual torrential rain we get here!

purplebean

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 20:23 »
Thanks for the advice. Not sure of the problem with the raised beds but the top couple of inches dries out almost instantly which I am guessing is something to do with it. Hubby has now decided he wants to terrace the garden and is working out the best way to do it. Will let you know what we finally decide  :lol:

xx
Growing on a slope

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 06:22
by Growster...
xx
Plot on a slope?

Started by Becci W on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 18:35
by Dreamer@45
xx
Digging on a slope

Started by Hadakare on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2015, 18:12
by 3759allen
xx
Newbie just starting out on a slope!

Started by Ka_ka on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 23:31
by Ka_ka

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 33 queries.