Tesco blue sticker on potatoes

• 9 Replies

grinling

Tesco blue sticker on potatoes
« on: December 18, 2019, 21:34 »
Tesco will be putting blue stickers on potato bags from flood hit farmers in Lincolnshire and the Eastern counties. Might not be smooth, but still good.
We still have a lot of land under water and 1 farmer is still waiting to have flood water pumped off after the river breached.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Tesco blue sticker on potatoes
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 08:37 »
Well that is a positive change in thinking  :)  Don't just reject the crop as it isn't picture perfect.  Market it and support our farmers  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 11:53 »
Good for Tesco's! If anyone can't stand knobbly or wobbly veg they need a good talking-to! It only takes a minute to cut them off with a sharp knife then peel as usual.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 12:46 »
It's been a weird year for potatoes, earlies were poor because of drought, so some had raised scabby patches.
Mains have had to put up with too much rain and possibly flooding on some farms, leading to swollen lenticels, which can look very strange and off-putting if you haven't seen them before - so well done Tesco for explaining to customers.
Of course the other thing to bear in mind, is that if all the rough-looking ones are rejected this year, there won't be enough to get us through 'til next year....

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 12:08 »
yes I have to say its a pleasure reading your replies in support of our local farmers and not forgetting Tesco for doing there bit to most people see farmers as riding round in there range rovers and that mite be so for some but for the majority of farmer and growers it must be a very worrying time as most of the autumn sown crops are either under water our washed away and will need to be re-sown at double the cost per acre come spring

and as you know if cereal crops like wheat become in short supply it will drive the price of bread flour up same goes for barley and rape crops and its well known that autumn sown cereal crops produce more per acre  than spring sown and then there's the brassicas growers could a cauliflower costing around 70p go to something like £2.00 or more ?

could be growing rice be an option  :D

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 12:13 »
Morrisons do a selection of misshapen veg.   I haven't  seen the blue labels spuds in Tesco, but their caulis were 29p last week !    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

grinling

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 22:25 »
most farmers haven't sown or even ploughed fields up here. spring wheat prices have already risen.
It will be interesting if Walkers cut production like last time.

jezza

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 20:35 »
Hello most of the big super markets dictate the price of all it's products so they don't actually support farmers or growers when I worked in a market garden we grew crisp lettuce weighing 23 ounces cut it  all 2000 boxes were rejected by a moron at the supermarket because they were too big  he only wanted 3 ounces lettuce  super markets  more likey trying to put them out of buisness jezza

grinling

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 21:45 »
Jezza, supermarkets do expect produce of a certain standard, but so do Walkers crisps, also Lincoln. Not all potatoes have been harvested this year, water has only just cleared off the field behind me.
Supermarkets can either buy and sell what farmers have or not sell at all.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 09:09 »
I think there has been a shift towards being more accepting of 'wonky' produce. 

There is more to do, but the fact that the thread opened with a comment about Tesco and the fact that they were buying less than perfect looking potatoes, stickering them to explain why and putting them out on sale, is a move in the right direction.  I have homegrown spuds stored in the shed, but if not, I would make a point of buying some of those blue stickered ones  :)

xx
Tesco Clubcard Plus...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

17 Replies
Last post January 25, 2023, 12:14
by Growster...
xx
Tesco Clubcard

Started by grinling on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2020, 20:31
by Plot 6B
xx
Tesco Clubcard

Started by grinling on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post October 03, 2020, 17:49
by grinling
xx
Tesco charging twice

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post February 18, 2021, 12:09
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 50 queries.