Saving a fallen tree - PLEASE HELP!!!!!

• 8 Replies

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
Saving a fallen tree - PLEASE HELP!!!!!
« on: December 03, 2016, 18:30 »
Hi eveyone, Im after some advice and unfortunatly time is agaist me!
The weather has been very stormy these last few weeks and nextdoors apple tree has been completly uprooted and is soon for the chop for next years fire wood.
This may seem like a supid question, but can I take a branch/cutting and try and grow it? would that work or do I neet to grow from seed?
I do have a couple of dwarf apple trees already but obviously I just bought them ready to plant and I like the idea of trying to save part of this apple tree which has obviously been growing at Bromley Pool longer than ive been alive!
Is this a lost cause or is there anything I can do to help this Phoenix rise a new?

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
Re: Saving a fallen tree - PLEASE HELP!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 18:33 »
I should mention that next door wants rid of the tree so trying to replant is out of the question sadly..... ???

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 19:04 »
Have a look at this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZa7UWIewGM

you can only try!

Trees grown from pips wouldn't be the same variety as the flowers would have been cross-pollinated.

Good luck.....
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 19:05 by mumofstig »

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 19:51 »
It's a little bit early but you may get away with taking some scion wood.

Find some of this years growth about the thickness of a pencil and cut it into 6" lengths making sure there are at least 3 buds on each. Get as many as you can - the more you have the more mistakes you can make. Put a small dab of vaseline on each of the cut ends, wrap them in cling film and put it in the fridge (not the freezer). You can graft this in the spring of 2017.

There are oodles of youtube vids on grafting - Stephen Hayes is a favourite. It really is easy and if the tree has come down you have plenty of material to practise with.  You don't need anything special one of the cheap snap off craft knife things, and some cut up freezer bags are fine.

You can either graft onto your existing trees (were these the cider ones you ordered from Amazon?), you can buy some rootstocks, they're around £4 each online or you can wait for the supermarkets to start selling the cheap trees in Feb and graft onto those.

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 21:26 »
Thanks for all the advice so far everyone, it's sounding a lot more complicated than snapping off branches and sticking them in soil  :mad:

I can only try, and I have a lot of material to practice with!!!!

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 21:28 »
I haven't looked into this yet.... But is there any point / option in planting some of the roots? The trees completely uprooted so I have easy access.....

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 21:58 »
it's sounding a lot more complicated than snapping off branches and sticking them in soil  :mad:

Honestly it's not, you just cut the head off one tree and stuff it on another's body whilst they're both asleep - when it wakes up it doesn't know the difference.  If I can manage it with my fat fingers anyone can.

But is there any point / option in planting some of the roots?

Not really - if it's a modern-ish tree it will have been grafted and the roots won't be from the same apple as the top, if it's on it's own rootstock and you do manage to get a root cutting to strike you'll end up with a tree of unknown vigour which may take forever to fruit.

Do you know what the variety the tree was?

3759allen

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 23:06 »
worth trying grafting. i done some last year and am hoping to do plenty more in the future.

there is so much info out there that makes it sound very complicated. but as long as you use the basic theory of joining 2 pieces of branch together keeping the ring complete it should work. then just find a cut and join method to suit you.

i found info that you can keep scoin wood in the moist in the fridge until the time comes to use it.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 13:25 »
There are a set of grafting videos and information on this web site in the video section under fruit trees. Ian who made them does it for a living and is an acknowledged expert on tree fruit.

http://video.allotment-garden.org/category/fruit-growing/

He even gives you 3 or 4 different grafting methods.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
Why Have All The Pears Fallen Off My Young Tree?

Started by whitespirit66 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 11:54
by senrab_nhoj
xx
my garlics fallen over.!!

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 19:52
by JohnB47
xx
Fallen fruit

Started by blackhobbescat on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2007, 20:06
by muntjac
xx
Peas have fallen over

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 09, 2008, 18:21
by DD.

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 40 queries.