very old pear tree

• 5 Replies

jambop

very old pear tree
« on: December 03, 2016, 12:10 »
Hi I have a very old pear tree that I would like to really hard prune to bring out some new growth and rejuvenate it... is this possible and just how hard can you be with an old tree like this? The main trunk of the tree is about 5" in diameter and it has grown quite tall. I want to reduce the height and width (spread) of the tree and hopefully encourage new growth to eventually replace what has been removed. I realise that fruit production will be cut to zero but the way the tree is fruit collection is difficult because of the form of the tree. Currently if it is a good pollenating season I get hundreds of small very nice tasting fruits, what I would like is a much reduced number of fruits but bigger. I know I could get this by thinning but again the form of the tree is a stumbling block. Any views on what can be done?

8doubles

Re: very old pear tree
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 13:28 »
I had a William pear tree that was 40 years old and very poorly looking with few fruit , i pruned it hard taking many 6cm branches of close to the trunk.
It rejuvenated the tree no end , good new growth and better fruit !

Give it a go ! :)

3759allen

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 23:12 »
i'm no expert at all, just dabbling with fruit in the last couple of years. i was very sceptical about how much to prune back but all my tree's have come very strong and very quick. mine are all young dwarf tree's but i'm guessing theory is the same.

when the tree does grow back after pruning it is better to keep the amount of branches down to give fewer but stronger growth, also ideal to train to a way that suits you and the collecting of the fruit.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 23:33 »
I was always told if you cut them back too hard that they would produce loads of water shoots that are not fruitful, and that it was best to spread the pruning over a few years.

Explained here
http://www.pipandstone.co.uk/restoring-old-fruit-trees/

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 19:09 »
Mum's correct, we inherited a very old pear tree that had been savagely hacked and had caused several water shoots to appear.  The RHS also give good guidance on how to proceed though not sure you can drastically change the height and spread without losing its ability to produce fruit.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=279

jambop

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 21:17 »
Well I am going to give it a hardish hair cut and see what happens :)

xx
Pear tree help

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 23:18
by oldbean
xx
Pear tree

Started by colin120 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 22:06
by BabbyAnn
xx
pear tree

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 09, 2007, 20:00
by gobs
xx
Pear Tree Help Please?

Started by richardoram on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 11:22
by Jay The Digger

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 40 queries.