Pigs?

• 8 Replies

khelashi

Pigs?
« on: July 10, 2013, 21:12 »
We have some empty space in our large garden (2 small paddocks) & are thinking about getting some rescue animals. We used to have rescue goats, I loved them & would love to have them again but when I checked, the ispca had a lot of potbellied pigs in need of rehoming. It got me thinking. Could we keep pigs in the paddocks and let them dig up & fertilize our polytunnels during the winter? I don't eat meat, so they would be with us for a long time... ;-) Does anyone have experience with pigs? Would they be suitable for us?
Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. :-)

Sparkyrog

Re: Pigs?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 21:23 »
Very unlikely they would be more likely to dig the tunnel up than dig it for you !I would not recommend pigs to anyone with no experience ! 2 reasons A ) they can take a lot of containing .B) if you get ones with the wrong temperament they can be seriously nasty (a bad tempered adult pig can take a leg off with one bite ) and some pot bellies do have a name for being bad tempered. Having said that I admire your line of thought  :) 
I cook therefore I grow

BobE

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 21:41 »
Pot bellyed pigs can make good, pets come farm animals, what you need is a nearby neighbour or farmer who would be willing to start you off.  If you watch "For the love of dogs" well he has a farm and he keeps them as well as rescue battery hens.  But he does have a herdsman.  What about a short course from a agricultural college.  With effort everything can be learnt.

khelashi

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 20:10 »
"Very unlikely they would be more likely to dig the tunnel up than dig it for you !"

That's a shame, was getting excited about the idea ;-)

I've looked on the page again, all the pot bellied pigs were gone! They must be popular! (I hope for the right reasone!  :blink:)

How about sheep? There are some who need rehoming from the farm animal sanctuary. I have experience with goats, not sheep. Are they very different?

Sparkyrog

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 21:02 »
Not that different ! biggest problem with sheep is footrot if your land is on the wetside ! Flystrike can be problem but good husbandry can sort both problems as long as its constant  :)

khelashi

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 22:24 »
I think fate has decided for us - our local pet farm is shutting down & needs to rehome all their animals, we just agreed today to take their goats, at least I know what I'm doing as we had goats before - exciting! ;-)

BobE

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 22:31 »
Brilliant result.

Debz

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 10:12 »
As you say - fate.

madcat

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 17:59 »
Sometimes you feel that things are just meant.  :nowink:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 38 queries.