Advice on Additional Hens

• 6 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Advice on Additional Hens
« on: April 29, 2012, 16:26 »
Hi Everyone,

I don't know where the last three + years have gone, but my three hens (Light Sussex, Calder Ranger, and a Black Rock) are done laying and have retired.  I want them to enjoy their retirement, but I also want eggs!  How many and what kind would you advise me to get to add to my old ladies?  I'm looking for a blood-free adjustment pecking order period here.  I'm not so keen on amount of eggs, I just want some!  Can't go back to the store bought ones - even free range. 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

marygall

Re: Advice on Additional Hens
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 19:26 »
I just put them in the henhouse at night when they've gone to roost. If the new hens are pullets then they usually get on ok come the morning.
The difficulty can be in persuading them to go back into the henhouse on their own on the second night.
I have found that the friendliest hens tend to be the commercial layers and bluebells but I love australorps. I think you'll really have fun finding some new hens. Good luck

rosie14

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 20:20 »
Hello :)

we only ever have max. of 3 birds at a time and quite simply as one goes to hen heaven another arrives  ::) and we have so far had no problems whatsoever introducing newbies. We have always put them in after dark like Marygall has .

We have 2 youngsters that lay well so we didn't make or existing 2 into into 3 but hopefully we will soon be increasing to 3 or 4 depending on  what we hatch!

Our last hen 'in' was a Bluebell and she has really really grown on me (she was barn reared and a bit clueless on the chicken behavoir front to begin with) she is so beautiful, friendly and inquisitive and is a fab layer but she was bred that way as is a hybrid.

Good luck with your new hens whatever you choose :)

LittleRedHen

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 21:58 »
Thank you!  I will do some research on Bluebells and Austalops.  Our hens discovered a Wood Pigeon in their run eating their grain this spring and practically killed it.  My husband had to rescue it.  That's why I am worried about the readjustment with the pecking order.  Did I read somewhere about talcum powder so that they all smell the same?

marygall

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 15:56 »
wood pigeons are different - mine nearly killed one last year, but they let the pheasants lurk about the edges of the garden.
I've never heard of talcum powder - maybe some red mite powder would kill two birds (perhaps not the most apt phrase to use) with one stone, but I think it will be all right if you just put them in the hen house after they've started roosting.
I used to keep them in a separate run for a fortnight till everybody got used to everybody else but I've found no real difference in just popping them all in the same hen house at night.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 15:59 »
You really should quarantine new arrivals for at least two weeks before adding them to your flock just in case they are incubating any illnesses.
Staffies are softer than you think.

LittleRedHen

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 11:33 »
I have a second hen house not in use that is about six meters from the one is use.  I guess I could pop them in there.  That would mean two rounds of pecking order though. 

You are spot on with the pheasant.  We have one that visits every day and generally 'lurks'.  He handles the girls with kid glove care.  Doesn't trust them - and rightfully so.  Even up in Scotland hens do the same thing to Wood Pigeons.  Amazing!  It must just be the way they are.

xx
additional chickens

Started by jackie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 14, 2010, 19:28
by dizzylizzie
xx
Advice: How many hens?

Started by zoggett on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 28, 2014, 16:55
by zoggett
xx
Advice Please - New to Hens

Started by hellebore on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 31, 2009, 17:54
by Flowerpower136
xx
Advice Needed New Hens

Started by scampy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 15:06
by scampy

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 39 queries.