After some advice please

• 3 Replies

tracy66

After some advice please
« on: October 12, 2011, 16:32 »
Hi everyone

We currently have our coop and run on paving slabs covered with a generous few inches of straw.
I'm not that convinced about the straw so have purchased easibed which I am going to put down instead at the weekend.
We were thinking though of getting some turf and laying it inside the run to have half turf and half easibed so our chooks have a bit of a choice! I know the turf would die after a while as it's on paving slabs but we could just replace it with more when it does.
Do you think they'd like that or best to stick with one thing in the run?

Thanks! :)
3 chooks - April, May & Julie
1 Retired Greyhound - June

helens-hens

Re: After some advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 16:56 »
I think you would find that the turf would not last long anyway because of the hens. I am sure they will appreciate it but I would imagine they will peck / scratch and dig until you are just left with soil!

I still think it is a good idea for them to have access to grass - what about the occasional roll of turf as a 'treat'.
Helen

Raven81

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 17:07 »
I'm not saying mines the perfect set up but mine are on soil and have grass in a tub which is covered with chicken wire so they can eat it but not destroy it.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 23:14 »
I love the idea of a roll of turf for the chickens!  Perhaps you could adapt Raven81's system and put the turf down, then cover it with a roll of chicken wire so your chickens can peck the growing tips but not scratch right down to the roots? 

From what I've read on here, easibed seems much better than straw in the run.  But rather than remove the straw, could you mix the straw and easibed together?  That way the straw may stay fresher for longer and won't be wasted. (I haven't used either product so I hope others will comment...)

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
I want some advice please

Started by eggsandgardens on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post January 26, 2008, 17:52
by mumsy
xx
Advice please

Started by ails505 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 06, 2011, 14:37
by bantam novice
xx
Fox advice

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 13:07
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 35 queries.