Morello Cherry question

• 6 Replies

bainsk8

Morello Cherry question
« on: October 17, 2012, 22:57 »
I have a north facing wall and am planing on placing a Morello Cherry against it. My question is I would like to have one as a fan shape, do I buy it already shaped or do i buy one that needs to be shaped.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't have any experience with fruit trees and could not find any info/advice on buying said trees.
If at first you don't succeed, try a different method.

SG6

Re: Morello Cherry question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 23:25 »
You can buy them as already fan trained - usually tied to several bamboos arranged believe it or not in a fan ahape. ::) ::)

Unless you keep it trained and pruned they try to revert to a bush. Sneaky blighters.

You could train one yourself but would have to pick a reasonably correct shaped starter and to get the right shape may take a couple of years, but it would cost less.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 23:26 »
They are very expensive to buy already trained, compared to a younger one you train yourself

http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=363

How to fan train fruit trees here
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=626

bainsk8

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 23:47 »
Thank you SG6 and mumofstig.

Wow! I didn't realise they were so expensive! With that in mind I will definitely be taking the training it myself route. I guess that if I buy via a website or catalogue it would be a good idea to ask for a good starter for me to train to a fan shape.

SG6 Yes sorry my wording on the initial question was not quite right, "what would be the best way to buy" would of been more fitting.

mumofstig that's a great page on shaping. I have it for other fruit in some of my RHS books, but I did not realise I could apply the same shaping technique to a Cherry tree.

Thanks again.

SG6

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 23:59 »
Always worth looking round any garden centres as sometimes one place sells them at a good price, for whatever reason. :)

I think the main thing is that the training takes time and it looks straight forward but isn't, tried it once. Think I broke too many branches trying to get them into shape to carry on. :(

Hamani

• I grow because I cook.
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 12:02 »

Yeah dont waste money buying a trained tree. You have to maintain the shape yourself anyway so might aswell save the cash and do they start bit yourself too!
“Humans possess an incredible ability to try again, infinite times.”

—    Me, feeling all philosophical.

bainsk8

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 21:44 »
That's great advice, thank you both.

I did ask this morning at my local nursery if they had any and I was told they will be selling them once its a bit colder and the tree is dormant. The ground at the moment is to wet to dig them, they are two years old already started and cost £20 -25 each. I am tempted to go for these as the price is a lot better than the link above. But I still like the idea of starting one myself.

One because of the cost and two because I think I could learn more by attempting it myself.

xx
Morello cherry glut.

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 23:11
by shokkyy
xx
Morello cherry tree

Started by Yorkie mick on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 09:10
by sunshineband
xx
Morello cherry trees

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2015, 12:06
by simonwatson
xx
morello cherry tree

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 05, 2007, 09:41
by gobs

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 40 queries.