potatoes

• 9 Replies

norma

potatoes
« on: July 10, 2007, 20:26 »
Due to the flooding in this area I am having to pick my potatoes up now.
I had put in Maris Piper, Edsel Blue and Chieftan  most of them due to be picked in August  a lot of them are rotten through and through some are ok but I am rather duboius of eating them had they been in for the right time I would have had a lovely stock never mind. I have only had my plot since march and have had some lovely peas and courgettes (which were experimental I may say) I have had to get rid of my peas today as the ground was water logged but managed to save a lot of those. I have got a couple of patio apple trees in my plot but the deer have eaten all the bark of them and have got 6 small apples on them. They have eaten my cabbage,sprouts,  and cauliflower all gone so it's a 6ft. fence going up this week to try and stop them. Does anyone else have trouble with deer.
This is my first time on here so Hello Everyone :cry:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 21:00 »
Hello Norma  Welcome to the forums.

What a sad post for your first one  :cry:

I hope you are not too disheartened with the flooding and loss of your crops.  You look as if you know how to beat the deer.
I'm sure your'll get a lot of encouragement for the members here.

noshed

potatoes
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 21:22 »
All the best - don't worry it will probably be a drought next year
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

jimroden

• Experienced Member
potatoes
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 21:50 »
Hi we have picked our first ever crop of potatoes and they all have scab's on them i have read up about them and it's  Streptomyces scabies

This is our first time planting anything in our allotment and was coverd in weeds and all sorts so i expect the soil is contaminated with Streptomyces scabies how do you eradicate it

Jim
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

Ice

• muck spreader
potatoes
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 21:59 »
Hi Norma, welcome to the forum.  I don't have a problem with deer, but my neighbours have about ten birdbaths and feed the birds constantly.  Hence, it's like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds every day.  I've found a way to frighten the pigeons but sparrows are a lean, mean crop eating machine.

This is my third summer growing veg and every year has meant changing and adapting to the conditions.  Last years success is this years failure and I am enjoying the challenge.  Hope you do too. :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

crowndale

potatoes
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 12:25 »
Dug up a friends spuds yesterday in cottingham and they were all completely rotton, not a single one survived.  But my peas are ok and my spuds (from same set of seed spuds) are ok for now (in my garden), they weren't under water so long.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

norma

with thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 18:37 »
thanks to all who replied  to my first forum page. Don't know how to eradicate streptomyces hope I don't get it though
When and it's a big when the ground dries out I am going to get a lot of manure delivered and dig it in then top soil and dig that in( maybe not I have a rotavator that can do it my legs ache from digging up spuds )
If that don't work then I will have to hire a bigger rotavator to do it mine is only a small mantis but does the job well but not as deep.

Anyway thanks once again to all of you.

BensGrandad

potatoes
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 10:16 »
I am a novice gardener having aquired my allotment in May.   I have only really played at it this year to just grow something but intend to do it seriously from here on.

I have just dug some potatos which I am told have blight and I was also told that once the blight is in the ground it is virtually impossible to get rid of.   My mother uses Jeyes fluid to clean her very small patch in her back garden.   Could I do the same over a larger area and would it  kill most of the germs in the soil?  I know that it would be quite expensive and I couldn't replant for a few weeks but if that is what it takes so be it.

Annie

potatoes
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 10:22 »
BensGrandad,just rotate your crops and grow potatos in a differant patch of ground next year.Jeys fluid will kill a lot of things in the soil good as well as bad but really won`t make much different to blight.Make sure all folliage is cleared away and ensure all the little volenteer potatoes are out of the ground as these can harbour blight rather than the soil itself.

WG.

potatoes
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 10:25 »
Quote from: "BensGrandad"
I am a novice gardener having aquired my allotment in May.   I have only really played at it this year to just grow something but intend to do it seriously from here on.

I have just dug some potatos which I am told have blight and I was also told that once the blight is in the ground it is virtually impossible to get rid of.   My mother uses Jeyes fluid to clean her very small patch in her back garden.   Could I do the same over a larger area and would it  kill most of the germs in the soil?  I know that it would be quite expensive and I couldn't replant for a few weeks but if that is what it takes so be it.

Hi BG and welcome to the forum.  Blight does not persist in the soil so no need to treat at all.  Blight attacks are airborne so leave the Jeyes in the bottle.

If this year's potatoes have blight then eat them as quickly as possible.  Store in a cool dark place and pick over regularly to remove any affected tubers (they are easy to spot).

xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
New potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 09:31
by Anton

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 35 queries.