watercress

• 18 Replies

jean48

watercress
« on: February 21, 2007, 13:15 »
I have a boggy part in my garden and was wondering if I could grow some watercress there has any one tried this and any tips please

WG.

watercress
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 13:18 »
I grow watercress and it is yummy - bears no resemblance to the shop-bought stuff.   Actually doesn't need to be really boggy.  Part-shade or full sun.  Are you growing from seed?

jean48

watercress
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 13:23 »
yes I will be growing from seed . dose it take long to germanat

WG.

watercress
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 13:36 »
Wasn't too slow to germinate but the plants stayed small for a long time before they took off.   You need to keep them well watered and well weeded.  See http://www.simplegiftsfarm.com/watercress.html for more info.

My watercress looks like it has survived the winter so looking forward more salads and sannies

jean48

watercress
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 13:48 »
thanks Whiskey

Trillium

watercress
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 14:51 »
If anyone is thinking of growing garlic in an actual pool of water, forget it. A friend planted some in his homemade pond and creek thinking it would look nice, and it did the first year. In the 2nd year you couldn't see water, or even pond edges, for watercress and out it all had to come. So just plant it where it's slightly boggy and controlable.  :lol:

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
watercress
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 17:15 »
Over last garden was sloping and we built two ponds one at the top and one at the bottom joined by a little stream.  The stream was powered by a smallish pump and run 24/7.  We grew watercress very succesfully in this and it cropped extremely well - and ate even better.

I know it will grow in still water as in our new home we have a small round pond in which it is now sprouting.

You should also try a walk around the local countryside as we have discovered it growing wild and free to pick in a local stream.

Rugbymad40
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

Axe Victim

• Experienced Member
watercress
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 18:22 »
Just watch out for Fasciola Hepatica....

http://www.dmacc.cc.ia.us/instructors/human.htm

:wink:
If life gives you lemons...wrap a dog turd in newspaper and set fire to it on Life's doorstep.

WG.

watercress
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 18:40 »
Quote from: "Axe Victim"

My understanding was that this was a risk when collecting wild watercress since the life cycle also required faeces from sheep - maybe others.

Axe Victim

• Experienced Member
watercress
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 21:46 »
Me too...but wouldn't allotment grown watercress be wilder than your average supermarket jobby?

:shock:  :D

Me, I grow it from cuttings...roots like crazy...grows like the clappers...tastes like heaven. :D

Trillium

watercress
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 22:39 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
If anyone is thinking of growing garlic

Sorry, folks - typo  error. Meant to say watercress. Who on earth would plant garlic in bog?  :oops:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
watercress
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 22:45 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "Axe Victim"

My understanding was that this was a risk when collecting wild watercress since the life cycle also required faeces from sheep - maybe others.

Yes it does so no risk from land cress

(OH is a Parasitologist)

muntjac

watercress
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 22:50 »
i remember picking it in wallingford on thames oxfordshire when i was 16  it was growing in proper pools with the water washing in froma chalk stream even trout swam up river from it . handfulls thrown into a steaming billy on an open fire n mashed down with milk and cream pepper and butter into a soup , dam that bread shop there was a heavenly place
still alive /............

WG.

watercress
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 22:50 »
Thanks for that Aunty.  That picture will be etched into my memory for recall when I'm eating my watercress sannie!  :lol:

WG.

watercress
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 22:58 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
i remember picking it in wallingford on thames oxfordshire when i was 16  it was growing in proper pools with the water washing in froma chalk stream even trout swam up river from it . handfulls thrown into a steaming billy on an open fire n mashed down with milk and cream pepper and butter into a soup , dam that bread shop there was a heavenly place
Watercress soup is terrific stuff - must have been especially good cooked outdoors.

xx
Watercress

Started by jhub on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 18, 2012, 17:27
by allotmentann
xx
Watercress

Started by janiejakemum on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 12:57
by GreenOwl
xx
Watercress

Started by andy135 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 04, 2011, 22:18
by Kiki
xx
Watercress from cuttings

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 18, 2012, 16:47
by Kiki

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 39 queries.