Attempted telephone scam?

• 11 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Attempted telephone scam?
« on: November 26, 2020, 11:19 »
I just got a call on the house telephone. The receiver flagged up an international call but when I picked it up it was a recorded message about Visa and Mastercards so I put it down. Then out of curiosity I checked it on the 1471 line and found it was a Birmingham number 0121 900 **** which when I called from another phone was stated to be "out of service". Is this an attempted scam?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Attempted telephone scam?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 11:24 »
Very likely. Block the number if you can.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 11:31 »
Scammers are  out in force now.
Earlier I had a call 'about your car accident' on my mobille - a little later a call on the landline about my 'Amazon prime subscription'  ::) Ended each call sharpish *sigh*

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 12:57 »
Well spotted Alan.  I am sure you are right.    Take care,  regards  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

GraciesGran

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 13:33 »
I only answer the land line if it's a number I recognise.  If people want me they can leave a message and I'll phone back.  Becoming increasingly wary in my old age.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 19:01 »
I've been registered with the Telephone Preference Service for years and haven't noticed getting any spam calls for ages.  But over the last couple of months there have been some very strange scam type calls to the landline - some looking as though they came from a UK number, but having the sound of an overseas call centre given the strength of some of the accents. Numbers can be spoofed.

I always look the number up on the who calls me websites, and add info if I have any.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

grinling

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 20:21 »
If I do not know the number I do not answer,unless Planet Rock is doing a comp and it is 5.30 :D

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 22:53 »
I only answer the land line if it's a number I recognise.  If people want me they can leave a message and I'll phone back.  Becoming increasingly wary in my old age.
Snap!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 08:54 »
A message on my mobile late last night " LLOYDSBANK A new device has successfully paired onto your a/c today. If this was not you click to deregister (xxxyyyzz link)
Being sleepy, I nearly clicked it.... but it was strange enough for me to be wary.
I don't have a Lloyds bank a/c and banks usually ask you to click you DO agree not to click because you DONT - so assume this is another scam of some kind..

jezza

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 14:47 »
Hello I've had a phone call about an accident settlement from an accident settlement could he have my account details I said no just take out your fees and send me a cheque,he said that was fraud and I couldn't receive payment for an accident I hadn't had,I reminded him that he had mentioned the settlement to me I hadnt claimed any thing,he told me to ☆☆☆☆☆...off and slammed his phone down I traced the number to a house in Yorkshire  apparently this his the guys 2000th call in the last week. jezza   

mrs bouquet

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 14:51 »
I don't have a mobile phone and my land-line is with Sky.  When people ring me they get Miss Sky first and she asks who they are, she then tells me who the caller is so I can accept, decline or delete completely.   Hopefully this puts the scammers off.  All my friends and family are listed on my 'phones so that when it rings their name comes up on the screen as well.   Isn't it sad that we have to go through life being so wary and suspicious.  Mrs Bouquet

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 16:07 »
I have a similar system on my land line, Mrs B.  I never get scam callers.

xx
Attempted telephone scams

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

17 Replies
Last post August 26, 2023, 06:23
by Growster...
xx
Is this an attempted scam?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post November 10, 2022, 09:10
by bayleaf
xx
Telephone Scams

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post November 28, 2018, 14:55
by rowlandwells
xx
Another scam going around.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post December 23, 2021, 12:40
by Christine

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 52 queries.