Roma tomatoes

• 39 Replies

jambop

Roma tomatoes
« on: June 28, 2020, 12:25 »
I grow my Roma tomatoes as bushes to max the crop and save time pinching side shoots. Anyway here is a photo for a plant that four days back was covered with flower trusses but no actual fruit... then suddenly the plant says enough flowers time to amke fruit an voila ! Going to be a huge harvest that is only a bit of one plant from ten planted out.
DSCN4075.JPG

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Roma tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 14:04 »
That's a great looking plant! I also don't do much to pinch side shoots.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

jambop

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 14:17 »
That is only a section of it there are nine San Marzano  (right)and ten roma growing in the one bed net to catch giant hail should it appear!
DSCN4075 (2).jpg
DSCN4074.JPG
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 14:19 by jambop »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 16:50 »

Roma is a determinant bush variety, so should not be pinched out anyway.

jambop

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 18:34 »

Roma is a determinant bush variety, so should not be pinched out anyway.
No it can be treated either way its Bi :lol: many people grow the indeterminate because of the growth habit I grow it bush stylee because it produces a lot of tomatoes but if you do not have the space it is a problem because it can be rambling. Some cats describe it a semi determinate whatever that is?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 22:56 »
A matter of personal choice I guess, jambop, and what suits your growing conditions and style.

I don’t grow determinants as my space better suits cordon grown plants.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 04:33 »
Roma is the only variety I am growing this year.  I prefer the smaller fruit for salad, etc. and IMO Roma has the best flavor and texture for cooking. 

I need to post the recipe for a tomato and egg stir fry; I know, sounds odd, but it is one of the best uses for good fresh Roma type tomatoes!

jambop

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 08:17 »
A matter of personal choice I guess, jambop, and what suits your growing conditions and style.

I don’t grow determinants as my space better suits cordon grown plants.
I have always grown it as a bush because space is not limiting but I think this is why people try it as a cordon because of use of space like yourself. Premier a seeds list it as semi determinate... what does that mean?   
edit out of curiosity I just went to PS website and looked at their listing for Roma and they have changed it but the growing tips they give are really for a cordon type plant. I find their tips to be a bit strange really. I also do not regard them as the king... San Marzano will always be the king  :)
Tomato Roma Vf
Tomato Roma Vf. The king of Italian tomatoes, most commonly used for sauces and canning, but equally delicious in summer salads.  It is the ultimate mid season Tomato, perfect flavour, perfect pear shaped 3″ fruits, all beautifully red.  Plants grow on vigorous determinate vines producing a heavy mid-season crop.  Fusarium and Verticilium resistant.

Cultivation advice Tomato Roma Vf
Sow in spring 1/16 inch deep.  Germination takes around 6-14 days at 65-75F.
Transplant the seedlings when large enough to handle into 3 inch pots.  Grow on under cooler conditions and when about 8 inches tall, either plant in their growing position in the greenhouse or gradually acclimatise them to outdoor conditions and plant out 18 inches apart in a warm and sunny spot in moist, fertile well drained soil and keep watered.
Provide support and tie in regularly.  Remove side shoots and restrict the plant to one main stem.  In late summer remove the growing tip to hasten ripening.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 08:21 by jambop »

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 19:17 »
Jambop/John

Many of these cultivation techniques are specific to growing Roma in the UK where tomatoes are often grown in a greenhouse and the season is much shorter than ours. I ignore it when they recommend pinching growing tips or restricting growth by training as a cordon. we know from experience that out growing season it extremely different here so much of the above is irrelevant.

Wishing you a great growing season
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 20:37 »
I used to grow Roma as a cordon in our greenhouse, but the result wasn't the best yield, although clearly, they're fab toms when allowed to do their bits.

I suppose the regional differences play a big part in their maturity, so maybe next year, I'll try a determinate version, and consider a new place in the Growster-Micro-Garden-Extemporate (Whaaaaaat)...

((Growster, your tablets are on the table, and here is your tincture to wash them down....;0)

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 22:06 »
It's my third year attempting Roma outside up here in yorkshire,  I got a lovely crop out of flower buckets in year one but nothing but broken stems due to poor support and blight last year.  I'm in 25 litre buckets with diy cages this year so the blight has no chance  :D

Mine are about half the size of Jambops!

jambop

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 22:11 »
Jambop/John

Many of these cultivation techniques are specific to growing Roma in the UK where tomatoes are often grown in a greenhouse and the season is much shorter than ours. I ignore it when they recommend pinching growing tips or restricting growth by training as a cordon. we know from experience that out growing season it extremely different here so much of the above is irrelevant.

Wishing you a great growing season

Yes I see what you mean these seeds are sold to people in the UK so it make sense to give tips on how to get the best results there.
Weather has been good so far and we are now heading into summer so I am hoping that storms are less likely. Hope that all goes well in your potager this year

jambop

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 22:27 »
I used to grow Roma as a cordon in our greenhouse, but the result wasn't the best yield, although clearly, they're fab toms when allowed to do their bits.

I suppose the regional differences play a big part in their maturity, so maybe next year, I'll try a determinate version, and consider a new place in the Growster-Micro-Garden-Extemporate (Whaaaaaat)...

((Growster, your tablets are on the table, and here is your tincture to wash them down....;0)
They are a great tomato when grown as a bush very productive but I do agree they need the continual  warmth that is available down here. You seem a very resourceful type Growster make some sort of poly tent for just a couple of plants grown bush stylee  :lol: I cannot remember exactly but I think I grew 5 plants last year and they produce about 30kg or more. I still prefer my San Marzano though I just think they are such a lovely tomato although the have a much firmer flesh they sweat down to a lovely rich tomato sauce. I am going to have a bash at sun drying some of the Roma's this year, never tried it before but it is said to be quite simple provided you pick a long'ish warm dry spell to do it.

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 05:54 »

They are a great tomato when grown as a bush very productive but I do agree they need the continual  warmth that is available down here. You seem a very resourceful type Growster make some sort of poly tent for just a couple of plants grown bush stylee  :lol: I cannot remember exactly but I think I grew 5 plants last year and they produce about 30kg or more. I still prefer my San Marzano though I just think they are such a lovely tomato although the have a much firmer flesh they sweat down to a lovely rich tomato sauce. I am going to have a bash at sun drying some of the Roma's this year, never tried it before but it is said to be quite simple provided you pick a long'ish warm dry spell to do it.

I seem to remember that there's a post on outside sun-drying here somewhere, JB!

...may be an Aga though...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 09:16 »
You've got a good memory Growster  :D

How I used to dry mine in Greece....
https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=121540.msg1432473#msg1432473

oh how I miss those long hot summers, specially when we get grey days like today *sigh*  ::)

xx
Roma tomatoes

Started by sam51 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2019, 14:28
by jambop
xx
roma tomatoes

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 02:54
by sclarke624
xx
Roma Tomatoes

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 15:06
by compostqueen
xx
Roma - pinching out?

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 29, 2009, 07:03
by coatesi

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 56 queries.