Where To Put The Greenhouse

• 2 Replies

Milly

• Experienced Member
Where To Put The Greenhouse
« on: April 13, 2011, 17:53 »
I'm trying to decide where to site my greenhouse and am hoping for some advice. I've hopefully attached pictures to help descrbie the two possible places.

Picture 1 shows where my OH thinks it should go, at the side of the area with the bench and running sideways along the hedge.

The sun would rise behind the greenhouse, travel over to the right as you look at it and then set in front of it. The house is not immediately in front of it so it would get the sun. My concern is when the farmer cuts the hedge behind with his cutting machine the greenhouse will most certainly be damaged by the debris that flies about.

Picture 2 show an alternative possibility i.e. behinde the barbequearea running alongside/parralell to the little bushy area.

The big silver birch will be topped.

Picture 3 shows the area at a differnt angle and behind the large trees is a river which means this can be windy but hopefully the vegetaion will be a wind break. The sun would be rising in front of the greenhouse (looking at it sideways on), travel to the left of it and sets over the river. I know the trees will make it shady but I was thinking that might be better than it being in full sun.

All advice appreciated.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Where To Put The Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 18:14 »
1) Lovely garden!  :)

2) I didn't have that many choices where to put mine but did quite a bit of research and came to the conclusion that an open sunny position is best (you can shade a sunny greenhouse but you can't increase the light levels in an excessively shaded one), sheltered from the prevailing winds if possible to minimise the risk of damage and reduce cooling, and ideally orientate N-S along the long axis for maximum sun exposure. In practice I think getting 2 out of those 3 right would be good enough.

3) Unfortunately I didn't do much research into how to fit "W" glazing clips so don't ask me to do it!  :lol:

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Milly

• Experienced Member
Re: Where To Put The Greenhouse
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 18:52 »
Crikey, 59 reads and only 1 opinion, thanks JG  :D

xx
Greenhouse Help

Started by dcleak on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 20:24
by dcleak
xx
DIY Greenhouse

Started by mum2many on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post February 26, 2007, 22:12
by noshed
xx
Greenhouse

Started by Tykelad on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 22:39
by Paul Plots
question
Used greenhouse

Started by Windsong on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 17:08
by Trillium

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 39 queries.