cc or hp

• 8 Replies

adal

• Man Of the World
cc or hp
« on: April 30, 2010, 21:16 »
hello all. this has got me beat looking at yesterday's night's news paper and came to a add for a rotavator it is a Petrol Powered Rotavator. Powerfull 163cc, 4.5hp Single cylinder engine. 36cm operating width and 2.3 litre tank capacity yet i have a 5.5hp rotavator and it say's it is 160cc  4 stroke same as above name of the rotavator EINHELL BMH 33/ 36 PETROL TILLER  this is the spec on it effective turning of the soil. The motor tiller is
equipped with ergonomically designed, in height adjustable handles. The tiltable guidance wheel makes change of
location a practical affair.
Technical data:
- Motor: 1 cylinder, 4-stroke engine, 163 ccm
- Motor power: 3.3 KW / 4.5 HP (horse power)
- Working width: 36 cm
- Working depth: max. 23 cm
- Tines: 4 pcs / Ø 26 cm
- Forward gear: 1
- Starting system: Reverse starting device
- Fuel: normal lead free gasoline
- Tank capacity: 2.3 l
- Motor oil capacity: 0.6 l (10W30)
- Net weight: 33.9 kg
- Gross weight: 36.5 kg
- Packing dimensions: 695 x 395 x 700 mm
can you tell me how at 4.5 hp ( 163cc)  be more cc than a  5.5hp at (160cc)  also how do you covert cc to horse power

8doubles

Re: cc or hp
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 21:22 »
I would have though a better carb with bigger air intake would do it. A turbo definately would. :)

There will probably be a techy answer along in a minute.

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 22:19 »
Different valve and cam configuration can also contribute to power output differences for the same displacement. One thing is for certain though, the higher power output will require more fuel!

smud6ie

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 22:48 »
Its all to do with design and tuning,just look at the HP difference of of a racing car and a road car of the same cc's
smud6ie

Gwiz

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 06:39 »
Ditto, all of the above. :)

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 20:18 »
To my way of thinking, applying car/motor vehicle logic to this, when talking about rotovators, quoting HP numbers is pointless. The number quoted will be the maximum output from that engine at a given RPM. With the single-cylinder motors fitted to most 'vators this normally occurs at about 45-5000 rpm, which is quite high. Most of the time you hear a tiller at work it's chugging along at about 3-3500 rpm, so producing less than maximum power.
Anyhoo, big-number HP is not what you really want, it's torque, which is the turning force the engine can produce. Most petrol-engined cars on the road produce roughly the same numerical amount of torque HP e.g. 200HP with 200 lb/ft of torque. The bigger artic lorries you see on the road produce around 8-900 HP from a 16-litre engine but around 1800 lb/ft of torque, which is what they need to lug 30-odd tonnes along. Same with a 'vator, you need turning force to drive the tines through the soil.
I'll take me anorak and go away now  :D
Blimey! You mean you can *grow* things in soil?

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 22:18 »
My tillers are about 9 or 10Nm  of torque and seem very powerfull
the car is 280Nm

Days of old HP was equated  to the work done in one day by a horse. So 1HP was very little (horses are very lazy :tongue2:). Later 1HP was 100cc again now very out dated.
always have a target
and an objective.

adal

• Man Of the World
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 22:37 »
Thank you all Gent's. for you'r time. :ohmy: it look's like i have to start reading book's on power not Britanin's hangmen

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 23:38 »
Sorry, should have said, when I was talking about HP I meant BHP i.e. measured on a dyno, which I suspect most of the manufacturers do. The old 1HP = work done by one horse/100cc = 1HP/piston area = som many HP are outdated. I suspect that when manufacturers state HP they mean BHP, they just don't say it  :)

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 36 queries.