what to sow now?

• 17 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: what to sow now?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 17:25 »
If it's any clue, the chap on the plot next door, who's a very seasoned gardener as asked for "some of them plants" if I've got any spare this year - yes I'll be growing them again, they do have a long growing season though, cut the last one about 2 weeks ago. It was about 7" across - not huge you may think - but believe me for our soil it is!

Over winter seems to be the only way we can grow caulis on our site with the club root problem, but I've got a load of allegedly club root resistant plants in this year, (Clapton), so we'll see how they do.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 10:41 »
That's good to hear - thanks.  :)

bonfire

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 10:50 »
If you like then endive and chicory can be sown from now on. I am about to sow endive (curly) for Autumn and winter use - terrific in salads after blanching, lasts very well before and after cutting and is never cheap in the shops.

We have a cellar so I have just sown witloof chicory for forcing in the winter. Fresh from the cellar it is lovely - when you buy it in the shops it has been kicking around in the light, getting bitter for days or weeks.

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 38 queries.