Broad Bean wine

• 10 Replies

Bee121

Broad Bean wine
« on: March 22, 2015, 11:41 »
I started making wine last year as I'd managed to also have my first allotment. One of the other allotmentiers had had his fill of broad beans and was going to compost the remainder, well not to see good food go to waste I offered to do the work for him if I could have the beans. Deal done I set to work.
Got about 3lbs of older beans and came across a wine recipe in one of my partners old how to brew books.
Recommend this wine to you all, crystal clear, rich flavour. Straightforward recipe.
I plan to make more broad bean wine this year and also other bean wines.  It's a great way to use the older beans which usually find there way to the compost bin.
Love the Bee, plant a flower :-)

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
Re: Broad Bean wine
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 19:03 »
Hey if you have a tips that would be fab, as my plan is to make wine if we have too many beans to eat   :D

Bee121

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 16:10 »
Hello Yorkshire Lass

Hope this helps

Broad Bean Wine
3 lbs shelled broad beans
2 lemons
3 lbs white sugar
1 gallon water
Hock wine yeast (I used general wine yeast)

Use end of season BBs
Boil BBs with lemon rind until cooked but not mushy
Keep liquid and dissolve sugar in it, add lemon juice
Add yeast when cool 23°C ish
Ferment, rack and then bottle

NB if unfamiliar with terms (as I was when I first started winemaking, do look it up) eg rack simply means syphon from one container to another, leaving most of the rubbish behind.

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 11:26 »
Thanks for the recipe this is great.  Do you know if you can use new or young Broad Beans, I am trying to grow Broad Beans for the first time this year and if they do not go down well with my family (ie they refuse to eat them). I plan on making them into wine, as I will not have to twist my OH arm to try the wine that is for sure.  :lol:

RubyR3d

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 16:33 »
My dad blanched some broad beans for the freezer and used the liquor for his wine just to see. It was fabulous. Some of the best foods come about by accident.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 19:39 »
Carrier bag full of somewhat blown BB's - after work tomorrow I've got plans...  :D

Pip pip,
Balders

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 18:57 »
Well it looks like I will be making the broad beans into wine, as they have not been popular with my fiends and family.

Am sure my OH wont turn down the chance of almost free wine, alas I cannot grow lemons  :D

Bee121

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 08:20 »
Hello

A little feed back that I've had from friends who were lucky enough to have got a bottle of this lovely wine, and I say lovely not because I made it, but just because it is. (Lovely is not how I described my rhubarb wine).

Someone said the broad bean wine is ideal as desert wine, as it's quite sweet. As the recipe I followed said this is a surprisingly good wine.

Started a new batch yesterday from the beans I'd got frozen from this year's crop. Also a beetroot wine.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 10:28 »
Silly question as I have never made my own wine, but how long do you ferment for? (is it a case of waiting for it to do its own thing) and how long do you leave it bottled before drinking?  :)

Bee121

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 09:27 »
Hello Northfolkgrey

I would say I'm a little loose on times, so not the best person to answer your question, for me it depends if I need the DJ or have enough bottles to bottle the wine when finished fermenting.   :dry: I think I had to rack the wine twice before I bottled it.

I will say though, when you start the wine it looks like really dirty dish water  ??? and your left wondering if it'll turn into something you'd drink never mind wine.

Before I start wines I always research, google, books etc. Enjoy your new adventure

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 09:31 »
Thank you. Next year could prove interesting  :)

xx
Broad Bean Pod Wine

Started by Stoatus on Homebrew

8 Replies
Last post December 20, 2009, 13:38
by Stoatus
xx
broad bean pods

Started by SUTTY1 on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 17:56
by SUTTY1
xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam
xx
wine?

Started by asd1 on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 21:03
by Silkworm

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 40 queries.