Building a wooden frame to protect against birds.

• 15 Replies

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
Building a wooden frame to protect against birds.
« on: November 29, 2011, 15:26 »
I have just taken over an allotment and I have spent the last two days on the internet looking at how I would like to lay the allotment out, how to construct polytunnels etc. Would anyone know where I could find instructions on how to build a frame to protect the veg from birds? I have seen one once that was about 12 inches high, the frame was made of wood and it was covered in chicken wire. As it was portable I would like to make some to protect my vegetables.

I’m sorry if I’m on the wrong forum.

Kleftiwallah

Re: Building a wooden frame to protect against birds.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 15:35 »
Building an anti bird cage couldn't be easier.  Builders merchants for some battening (the horizontal bits of wood roofers hang the tiles from.  A load of plywood, hopefully marine ply but if not, no bother,  a load of self tapper screws.

Lay the battens out on the ground and but them up against one another, where they join, cut a tiangle of ply and after drilling pilot holes through the ply screw in place where the battens meet.   Make two of these (one on top of the other to ensure they are the same size ish).  Stand them up and join together using a trangle of ply wherever the battens meet.  There will be three triangles at each corner.

To cover, I'd get some fish pond protective mesh,  it's more flexible than chicken wire and not so jaggy !    Chuck it over the frame and there ya go.    Hold down with rocks around the base.      Easy peasy.      Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 15:48 »
Thanks Tony.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 18:58 »
Just to think about --- bear in mind that soem brassicas, like purple sprouting broccoli for example, grow really tall, up to 1.5m, so you will need to have quite tall frames.

After a couple of unsuccessful efforts (one too short, one to heavy to move to weed/crop etc) I now have three of those cheapish metal arches you can buy to train roses over, and stood them over one of the raised beds.

I have a debris net cover with velcro door in one long end for the summer, and am about to change it for a wide mesh bird proof netting for the winter, because the weight of snow on the debris netting will probably bend the metal  of the arches. They are well staked on the inside with wood a foot deep, and guyed at each end so summer gales didn't blow them over.

Debris netting kept out the cabbage white and bird netting will keep out pigeons during the winter --- no butterflies now!

Hope that helps a bit.

The lower frames you mention work well for short crops as long as you can lift them of single handed

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 21:22 »
does not look very tidy but to suit various sizes of plants I simply use roofing battens cut to 0.5,  1, 1.5 and 2 metre lengths hammered (not too much) into ground at about  2 to 3 strides apart with a plastic plant pot on top (protects nets) and covered with debris netting (see scaffold suppliers or get from building sites after being used (check for holes) with ends weighed down with old bricks, can use old plastic milk containers full of water or sand. I have three diff widths of net (diff colours so easy to spot in shed). Cheap and very flexible and easy to put up, pull down and store.
R

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 21:38 »
That works quite well Richard, and is how I cover the blueberries ever year, to stop them becoming the food of choice for local birds

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 06:00 »
We've found that those plastic ball connectors with 4' canes are surprisingly good at the job.

I wasn't sure if they would be too light, but with a few strategic clothes pegs here and there, they've withstood all the wind we've recently had without a murmer!

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 08:25 »
Thanks guys.

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 09:20 »
Hi Growster. I have been looking on the internet for those plastic ball connector thingies. Would you know what they are called?

RichardA

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 14:04 »
try goggling cane connectors or "build a ball" or may also come up in connection with bird netting or garden netting etc
R

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 15:40 »
That’s it!!!  Just what I have been looking for. I may become Amazons best friend. Lots of allotment things on there.

crh75

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 16:06 »
does not look very tidy but to suit various sizes of plants I simply use roofing battens cut to 0.5,  1, 1.5 and 2 metre lengths hammered (not too much) into ground at about  2 to 3 strides apart with a plastic plant pot on top (protects nets) and covered with debris netting (see scaffold suppliers or get from building sites after being used (check for holes) with ends weighed down with old bricks, can use old plastic milk containers full of water or sand. I have three diff widths of net (diff colours so easy to spot in shed). Cheap and very flexible and easy to put up, pull down and store.
R

Similarly, I use bamboo canes with juice bottles on top, then cover with butterfly netting pegged down with camping pegs.  Works a treat.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 16:58 »
That’s it!!!  Just what I have been looking for. I may become Amazons best friend. Lots of allotment things on there.

Make sure your canes are not too thick for them --- long canes to tend to be quite thivk in my experience  :ohmy: :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 17:11 »
Seems to be a bit out of fashion these days but for bird protection of young plants (or any plant if it's less than about a foot high) I find that galvanised wire hoops (inverted "U") with ordinary garden netting slung over them makes very cheap, portable, and reusable cages of any size you like (probably not a good idea to go more than about a foot high, and up to two feet in span, but if you've got a wider bed just use two or more hoops side by side.)

Make sure you use a thick guage of wire (the plastic-coated stuff I've seen isn't up to the job.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 17:28 »
These are they Achers...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardman-Grow-Garden-Netting-65010/dp/B000QZP39C

Go down to the bottom and there are the - er - balls...!

xx
building cold frame.

Started by joiner on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 21, 2012, 22:06
by gavinjconway
xx
Building a big Cold Frame/Greenhouse

Started by IanG on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 17:48
by IanG
xx
What mesh to protect Brassicas?

Started by argonaut on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post November 02, 2017, 19:50
by rowlandwells
xx
Wrapping greenhouse/shed floor bearers in plastic to protect against rotting?

Started by Yana on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post August 01, 2013, 10:51
by Welsh Merf

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 41 queries.