Raising an ibc

• 7 Replies

Wellington

• Experienced Member
Raising an ibc
« on: January 11, 2020, 22:44 »
Last question for today (I’m starting to get excited!). We have no water on our site, so many people seem to have ibcs to collect water. What are the options for standing them on to raise them so you can get water out?  Pallets look popular, but I’m surprised they are strong enough (in some cases, it looks like they weren’t!)

Has anyone tried pumping water to a hose for watering?  I have a leftover caravan pump, which I’m sure could do a reasonable job with a bit of ingenuity (which I sadly lack!) is a single ibc generally adequate (in an average year, if we ever have one) or should I get two, given that delivery is a significant cost? 

Growster...

Re: Raising an ibc
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 07:03 »
We used to have two IBCs, Wellington.

They were tied together with strong polypropylene rope, and I put them up on several concrete blocks on edge, making sure that they were set in both directions to avoid tipping over! That gives you 9" off the ground plus the few inches up to the tap, which is just enough to get a watering can under!

A chum actually put his at the top of a sloping allotment, fitted a hose and used gravity to water his whole area! You can buy the fittings easily on Ebay - you need a shed roof to fill it of course! A winter's worth of rain usually does the trick!

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 07:47 »
Yes I’ll 2nd what growster said, plus I did similar at my old allotment site where there was no water on site & we were on a slope, I had one of those curly hoses spare so I connected it to the tap of the Ibc on arrival, then had a couple of water butts further down the plot & decanted the water via the hose, first to 1 butt then a further one down the plot, that way I didn’t have to carry the water so far.
For Christmas my son bought me a battery operated jet washer with the intention I can water the plot from the water butt as it has a pipe with weight/filter on it to use in a bucket. We tried it on the patio on Boxing Day & it looks like it might be good for watering but maybe not so good at jet washing
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 10:14 »
Last question for today (I’m starting to get excited!). We have no water on our site, so many people seem to have ibcs to collect water. What are the options for standing them on to raise them so you can get water out?  Pallets look popular, but I’m surprised they are strong enough (in some cases, it looks like they weren’t!)

Has anyone tried pumping water to a hose for watering?  I have a leftover caravan pump, which I’m sure could do a reasonable job with a bit of ingenuity (which I sadly lack!) is a single ibc generally adequate (in an average year, if we ever have one) or should I get two, given that delivery is a significant cost?

IBC's typically have a capacity of 1,000 ltrs which equates to approx 1 tonne in weight, most pallets have a capacity of 1 tonne - i'd have no issues with using pallets to raise an IBC up (providing there is no significant damage to the pallet.
Ches

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 10:59 »
I wonder if some pallets are more up to it than others?  I will have to see what I can find.

I had not considered the slope. The site is slightly sloping from southwest to North East. I had vaguely wondered why some people had put their sheds on the southwest corner, and clearly that will be it. I had been planning to put mine in the middle for ease of watering either end.  Perhaps I will have a rethink to the South End. (Naturally, there are slabs in place at the North East corner. Clearly whoever had it before me had less aversion to carrying there water uphill than I do!  I reckon a pump is a worthwhile investment anyway).

We are not too far from Burbage, Snowdrop!  I'm near Coalville now, but I grew up in Stoney Stanton, and visit Burbage fairly often, as I have two Aunts there. Small world!

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 06:27 »
Talking of concrete blocks, as we were earlier, if you look carefully at the kerbs in Kent, and notice that some are slightly 'beiger' than others, it's because they were made by Charcon in their Coalville works, as opposed to the ones we made in Hulland Ward, near Derby which were much 'greyer'...

Not a lot of people know that...:0~

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 21:13 »
Well, well, fancy that Coalville is famous!  In it’s own special way.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 21:28 »
It sure is, Wellington!

The Coalville works was a superb place to work in, and I'll never forget it!

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 47 queries.