Rabbit problems.

• 9 Replies

tony thompson

Rabbit problems.
« on: December 03, 2007, 21:03 »
After quite a successful first year on the allotment I have just returned from two weeks holiday to find that so much of my winter cabbage and brussel sprouts have been eaten right down by I believe rabbits!!  Has anyone any idea how I can stop these pesky things from enjoying first class meals at my expense?
SURPRISED OF SCOTHERN

WG.

Rabbit problems.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 21:11 »
Permanent fencing is the best way to go.  4ft high chicken wire with the first 12 inches folded flat outside the fence.

Annie

Rabbit problems.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 22:52 »
Try a search on this site,I only had one bunny but loads of advice.

David.

Rabbit problems.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 08:22 »
On line fencing guide

I found the cheapest fencing at Wilkos but I only buy when they sell it off in Autumn at up to 75% off. There will be none there until they sell off the Christmas goods and get gardening products back in store. The only sell 600mm & 900mm (rarely reduced) but you can cut rolls/join together to required height by threaded some Wilkos wire (99p for 20m - again bought when reduced) through at the join (also useful to thread through the to to keep taught).

Posts from skips. Old garden gazebo poles are OK for intermediate posts and you can tap a piece of batten in the top (before fixing) if you want to drill a hole for a top wire.

milkman

Rabbit problems.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 09:16 »
It may be worth checking it definately wasn't pigeons first by chatting with other plot holders, they do love cabbages and such like - it may save you a lot of fencing expense...
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Lynne

Rabbit problems.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 11:17 »
We have big rabbit problems and the only solution we have found is what WG. suggests. We use galvanised mesh which is cheaper if you can get it from a farmers supply shop (although still pricey). Most important though is to bury it about 6 inches in the ground with a height above ground of 3 feet.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
Rabbit problems.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 11:34 »
I built a fence as WG suggest round my plots otherwise i'd have nothing left! I just walk all the way round the fence once or twice a year to check the blighters haven't found a way in... I got my fencing and straining wire from an agricultural merchants, posts were salvaged.

In addition to Davids reference,  an online rabbit fence guide from the Ministry: http://naturalengland.twoten.com/naturalenglandshop/docs/tin023.pdf

and from the forestery commision pages 2 and 3 with pics of suitable fencing: http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/PDF.nsf/pdf/fcpn2.pdf/$FILE/fcpn2.pdf

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
Rabbit problems.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 15:17 »
get hold of a large aggressive cat and starve it a while, then let it loose :twisted:  :twisted:

tony thompson

Rabbits on allotment.
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 20:20 »
Thanks to WG and all who have given very useful advice.  I have even tried a scarecrow, ( mainly for the look on my grandchildrens faces!!) but the rabbits seem to see that as a meeting point judging by the amount of droppings around it!!.
I have spoken to the Council who run the site and they are thinking of contacting the local pest controller who has a big gun and is employed almost full time by the local police headquarters to keep the rabbits down on their large site of field and grass.   I have just cut off my remaining brussels and had a first class feed tonight the rest will go into the freezer.

Bigbadfrankie

Rabbit problems.
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 20:52 »
A fence is the only real answer. Our garden is surrounded by heath land and bunnys. We fence but even then they find ways in and out(straight up and over if they see the gun) :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
always have a target
and an objective.

xx
rabbit control!

Started by celtbhoy on General Gardening

22 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 08:10
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Rabbit deterrent

Started by AlaninCarlisle on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post November 02, 2013, 12:28
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
How to catch a rabbit?

Started by Rhuby on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 01, 2007, 22:21
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Composting Rabbit bedding!!

Started by wildeone on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post August 01, 2007, 10:39
by WG.

Page created in 0.7 seconds with 40 queries.