Numbers of seeds in packets

• 14 Replies

dawninspain

« on: April 19, 2007, 08:18 »
This year for the first time I have noticed, especially with T&M seed packets, that the number of actual seeds in the packet is well short of what it should be eg a packet which says 'average 40 seeds' is only about 20. It is generally the F1 hybrid seeds which are countable but then they tend to be the more expensive in the first place. Obviously I have not tried checking out those packets which are supposed to have large numbers like 2000 - but it makes you wonder.

Has anyone else noticed this :?:

Dawn

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 08:49 »
I know what you mean Dawn I had that with some of the toato seeds I bought last year, but luckily now I know how to save my own.  

The one that gets me is that they sell 3,000 parsnip seeds, but the seeds generally only last 1 year!   That's if they grow in the first place, which is probably why they give you 3,000!!!!!!

dawninspain

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 09:54 »
Yes grannieannie I had been wondering if I should start saving my own seed - do you find that seed you have harvested yourself grows just as well as that you can buy?

I suppose though it means finding varieties that are not F1 hybrids because I don't think that seed would come true - am I correct?

Dawn

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 10:38 »
Hello

You only get 5 seeds in a packet of gherkin seeds. 5 :roll:

And I have saved my own seeds of swiss chard and wanadoo peas, they are not as reliable as bought seeds but you get so many of them it doesn't matter in my opinion.

I'm saving my own parsnip seeds this year, hopefully.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Oliveview

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 11:00 »
Hi Dawninspain (from Pamela in Spain!)
I had a packet of geranium seeds, only six in the packet! (didn´t realise until I went to plant them) only 4 germinated!  
What about the Spanish veg seeds? Tried the tomatos last year (Roma) got loads in the packet, have planted more this year and still have some left for next year :D
We will be ready to start lifting the potatoes soon about 2 weeks or so. How about your way?  
We have had a very mixed lot of weather lately, sun and rain perfect I guess for veggie growing. Once the spuds are dug up  I will plant the french beans.
What is your season like Valencia way?
Pamela
(east of Sevilla)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 11:25 »
I got two free packets from T&M and 1 was supposed to have 15 seeds got 16, other 35 but I got 37  :D  and they have all germinated. Lucky me !  :lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

ruffmesiter_69

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 12:40 »
i have had some packs of seed with 6 in them :-( to some with over 250 :-) depends on variety and manufacturor

dawninspain

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 17:21 »
Hello Pamela and thank you for your reply. Our weather was very dry this year up until the end of March - since than we have had loads which is great for the veg already planted.  We have one or two flowers on our potatoes which are doing well but I think we are a few weeks away from beginning to lift.

We have found that the seeds available here are very limited. We buy quite a lot of things as young plants from a local trade nursery which works well with some things but we have not had very good tomatoes from locally bought plants for the past couple of years - mine grown from UK seed turn out much better. Some things just don't want to grow - peas and runner beans are on their last chance this year. The local people seem to concentrate on cabbages, caulis, globe artichokes, toms, courgettes, peppers and aubergines - fairly limited really. I have tried getting ahead and putting things in early (which you would expect to work here as our last chance of frosts is about early March) but it does not seem to work as plants just stand still. Two years ago I tried a second crop of toms going into the autumn but they never ripened. I think its all down to timing and luck - getting the rain and warm weather at the right times before and after the intense heat of July and August.

It certainly is a learning curve in a much more extreme climate than the UK.

I'd be interested in swopping notes with you and what we are learning here will probably be relevant for the UK as well if summers continue to hot up.

Dawn

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 17:30 »
Some of the best quantities of seed in packets that I have come across are from Franchi - Seeds of Italy  :D

I have also noticed on several occasions tha 'free' seeds donot contain the same quantities of those you buy!!!   :evil:
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

WG.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 19:49 »
I'm off to count the celery seeds in the packet  ...   :shock:

shaun

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 19:49 »
Quote from: "flowerlady"
Some of the best quantities of seed in packets that I have come across are from Franchi - Seeds of Italy  :D

thats because they sell by the weight,some places in the uk do this moles sell some of there seeds this way http://www.molesseeds.co.uk/index.html
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Ann

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 22:26 »
oh no not another seed site to tempt me, OH is threatening to divorce me if I bring another packet of seeds into the house especially salad leaves I think I have enough to keep us going for the next 5 years

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 22:28 »
Quote from: "dawninspain"
Yes grannieannie I had been wondering if I should start saving my own seed - do you find that seed you have harvested yourself grows just as well as that you can buy?

I suppose though it means finding varieties that are not F1 hybrids because I don't think that seed would come true - am I correct?

Dawn

I don't know how the saved seeds are going to grow yet Dawn, as its the first time I've tried it, but i'll let you know soon!!  I've also got some swaps from other members of things they've saved too to try.

One of my saved seeds is Floridity which is an F1, so it will be interesting to see what happens to it!!!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 22:31 »
Re Moles seeds
I bought 250gms of their pea seeds "Jaguar" for £1 at my local garden centre, planted them yesterday, looked like good seeds whole packet was foil and sealed well. I'll ask the pigeons what they think next time I go down  :lol:

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
Re: Numbers of seeds in packets
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 07:54 »
Quote from: "dawninspain"
This year for the first time I have noticed, especially with T&M seed packets, that the number of actual seeds in the packet is well short of what it should be eg a packet which says 'average 40 seeds' is only about 20. It is generally the F1 hybrid seeds which are countable but then they tend to be the more expensive in the first place. Obviously I have not tried checking out those packets which are supposed to have large numbers like 2000 - but it makes you wonder.

Has anyone else noticed this :?:

Dawn

You have to remember it says average 40 seeds, this doesn't mean you will get 40 seeds  :) Some people will be lucky and get more than 40 or be unluckylike you and get a lot less.

xx
Go on then COUNT YOUR PACKETS OF VEG SEEDS!

Started by Salkeela on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 19:28
by yummy
lamp
Storing and sorting packets of seeds.

Started by Gill and Bry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 13, 2020, 19:30
by snowdrops
xx
Truss numbers...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 09:41
by stompy
xx
old seed packets

Started by mumof4 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 11:03
by mumof4

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 40 queries.