Marrow recipes please!

• 19 Replies

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
Marrow recipes please!
« on: September 18, 2007, 22:30 »
I've harvested my GIANT marrow today as the plant doesn't seem to want to produce any more courgettes/marrows, in the hope it'll produce a few more before the cold weather establishes. Why did I not get a glut? Only got 4 courgettes and one marrow  :? .

Anyway. now I've got the marrow, I'm at a loss what to do with it. I'd like to make something for the weekend for the family, so some lovely tried and tested stuffing recipes would be appreciated please!

Don't know what to expect - I've never ever seen the inside of a marrow, never tasted it, and it has some bad press, but I just could not help myself, and had to try it, lol!

Thanking in anticipation, lol!
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

Ice

• muck spreader
Marrow recipes please!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 23:46 »
Hi there.

Peel the marrow but don't cut the ends off too short.  Cut in half lengthwise and use a spoon to remove the seeds.  You can then use any number of favourite stuffing mixes in the hollowed out bit.  Marrows have a delicate flavour and will take anything you can think of.  My favourite has to be a sage and onion mix, either from a packet or the real thing.  Put this in the hollowed out bit and tie the marrow back together.  Place in an ovenproof dish with an inch of water, cover with foil and bake for about 40 mins.  Cut into rings and serve.  Any leftovers are amazing fried until a bit crispy.
Cheese makes everything better.

jacnal

Marrow recipes please!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 23:57 »
Do I get rid of the flesh IHM, or do I mix it in with the filling/stuffing?

Ooohh! That's a lovely sounding recipe, I can't wait! I hope to God I don't stuff it up, lol!

mushroom

Marrow recipes please!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 01:58 »
Our site had a good season with marrows. What follows is a generic recipe.

Cut marrow in half, scoop the seeds out. Fry up some spicy meaty stuff. it can be any meat. i spice mine with fresh chili and herbs, diced or ground beef or lamb. Heap it into the two marrow halves, pop in the oven day gas mark 5, cook until the marrow can be easily pierced with a fork.

Of a big marrow, one half will feed 2 people with big appetites. bon appetit!

mkhenry

Marrow recipes please!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 21:08 »
Quote from: "mushroom"
Our site had a good season with marrows. What follows is a generic recipe.

Cut marrow in half, scoop the seeds out. Fry up some spicy meaty stuff. it can be any meat. i spice mine with fresh chili and herbs, diced or ground beef or lamb. Heap it into the two marrow halves, pop in the oven day gas mark 5, cook until the marrow can be easily pierced with a fork.

Of a big marrow, one half will feed 2 people with big appetites. bon appetit!

Same but add some chopped up ripe conference pears :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

jacnal

Marrow recipes please!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 22:21 »
Mushroom, Henry - do you guys leave the skins intact, or do you peel it as well?

Henry, do you add the pears to the meaty mix and cook?. Ooh, I don't like the sound of that! I still can't bring myself to eat pineapple on pizza either. Fruit+meat=weird to me, lol!

Ice

• muck spreader
Marrow recipes please!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 22:21 »
Hi Jacnal.  Yes, get rid of the skin if you do it this way.  Also, as marrows are a bit bland the spicy meat recipes above are great too.  Another thing to do is to slice the unpeeled marrow into inch thick round slices, scoop out the seeds and fill with stuffing of your choice.  Cover with breadcrumbs and grated parmesan and bake for 20 minutes.  A veggie option would be to do a savoury mushroom stuffing.  What you need to remember is that a marrow has a delicate and very pleasant flavour that can take whatever you throw at it.

mkhenry

Marrow recipes please!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 22:24 »
Quote from: "Ice hockey mad"
Hi Jacnal.  Yes, get rid of the skin if you do it this way.  Also, as marrows are a bit bland the spicy meat recipes above are great too.  Another thing to do is to slice the unpeeled marrow into inch thick round slices, scoop out the seeds and fill with stuffing of your choice.  Cover with breadcrumbs and grated parmesan and bake for 20 minutes.  A veggie option would be to do a savoury mushroom stuffing.  What you need to remember is that a marrow has a delicate and very pleasant flavour that can take whatever you throw at it.

Now thats how to cook a marrow. :lol:  :wink:

mkhenry

Marrow recipes please!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 22:26 »
Quote from: "jacnal"
Mushroom, Henry - do you guys leave the skins intact, or do you peel it as well?

Henry, do you add the pears to the meaty mix and cook?. Ooh, I don't like the sound of that! I still can't bring myself to eat pineapple on pizza either. Fruit+meat=weird to me, lol!

Yeb peal and chop quite small and add to the meat mix it just adds a piquency. :lol:

Ice

• muck spreader
Marrow recipes please!
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 22:33 »
Fruit+meat=weird to me, lol!

Not weird Jacnal.  In this country we eat lots of fruit and meat combinations, I think it was a way to make the most of seasonal products.  Most notable for me is roast pork and apple sauce.  Redcurrants and their jellies are used extensively with game.  One of my favourite combinations has to be lamb with an apricot, nut and herb stuffing, which I believe to be a north African dish.

Ice

• muck spreader
Marrow recipes please!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 22:38 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"

Now thats how to cook a marrow. :lol:  :wink:

Why thank you, my just up the road friend. :lol:

jacnal

Marrow recipes please!
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 22:39 »
I'll always try something once, so I'll give fruity meat a chance - one day. Just not pieces of pineapple on a meatfeast pizzahut pizza, Aiaiaiaiaii!

Ice

• muck spreader
Marrow recipes please!
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 22:43 »
I absolutely agree Jacnal.  That is a crime against nature. :shock:

mkhenry

Marrow recipes please!
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 22:51 »

Not weird Jacnal.  In this country we eat lots of fruit and meat combinations, I think it was a way to make the most of seasonal products.  Most notable for me is roast pork and apple sauce.  Redcurrants and their jellies are used extensively with game.  One of my favourite combinations has to be lamb with an apricot, nut and herb stuffing, which I believe to be a north African dish.

Thanks Ice now im really hungry :shock:

mkhenry

Marrow recipes please!
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 22:58 »

In Ancient Rome they used to put fish sauce with meat dishes,plus fruit and spices.
A modern version is the use of anchovy or anchovy paste in shepards pie.It works and tastes great. :wink:

xx
marrow recipes

Started by kezlou on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 09:31
by kezlou
xx
Quantity of Marrow for Marrow & Ginger Jam

Started by cheshirecheese on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 17:24
by cheshirecheese
xx
Marrow

Started by Storeman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 10:25
by WG.
xx
Marrow?

Started by gardgydja on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 09:32
by kezlou

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 38 queries.