Potatoes have chitted at last

• 5 Replies

gremlin

• Experienced Member
Potatoes have chitted at last
« on: May 14, 2012, 20:11 »
now what?
P5130136c.jpg
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

mattwragg94

Re: Potatoes have chitted at last
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 20:18 »
they look a tad too white in my opinion - which means they have been in the dark, anyway they should be fine - dig a trench and put them in ASAP.

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 20:24 »
This is the last quarter of my 2011 crop which has been in paper sacks in a cool dark place and has not stored too well....

Not only do I have to learn how to grow stuff, I have to learn how to store it. 

They're compost...

mattwragg94

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 20:32 »
i wouldn't give up on them just yet gremlin, why dont you sort throught them - the ones with the smaller shoots will be fine to plant - the ones with the longer shoots probably wont produce very strong plants - but i wouldn't compost those either - i would eat them :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 21:12 »
I think Gremlin was having a joke, Matthew and I don't think they would be good enough now to eat :)

Compost is the best place for them, Gremlin.  It's never a good idea to use the potatoes you've grown as seed.  Too much danger of increasing disease problems.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 21:14 by Aunt Sally »

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 19:44 »
Yes it was a joke. That's why I originally posted it in the "chatting on the plot"....a light hearted natter...... before it got moved to the deadly serious GYO board.

This year's proper seed potatoes were planted on St Paddy's Day before the rainy season set in.  They are all doing very nicely.  As a no-faff gardener the earlies, lates and middlins all went in together. In separate rows of course.

I knew last year's stored crop was beginning to chit in its bags in the garage, but I hadn't realised how soft and manky they were all getting till I tipped them out. My kids said the pile looked like a Dr Who monster.

Maybe they would grow. I will find out soon because they were dumped on a 12" layer of horse manure in my compost bin.  I bet I'll get a bumper crop of "show" quality potatoes later.

Still a bit miffed that so much has gone to waste after all that blood, sweat and tears. Shame I haven't got a pig to feed them too. (Now that's an idea!)  <- Joke

xx
potatoes/chitted

Started by mfconway on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 19:21
by DD.
exclamation
chitted potatoes

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 20:20
by Jay Dubya
xx
Chitted Potatoes

Started by JT101 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 19:59
by mumofstig
xx
Chitted Potatoes

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 19:04
by shaun

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 38 queries.