Cress question.

• 3 Replies

Stree

Cress question.
« on: February 28, 2009, 23:08 »
Firstly, I realise that growing cress  is very easy, just a damp spot on a tissue and some light will do the trick but here is what I would like to do.....
I have some old stone sinks, none of them are very deep and the shallowest is only about an inch and a half deep......I would love to use these for growing in because they are a lovely feature, but the lack of depth is a major restriction............But cress is shallow rooted, at least baby cress, I do not intend to thin out and grow as cress salad leaves, if I do they can be planted straight into the soil.
I would welcome opinions and advice on what growing medium would be best for these shallow sinks, for the cress specifically.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Cress question.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 23:18 »
As cress is an annual, multipurpose compost should be fine.  Make sure you have sufficient drainage, it'll just become waterlogged if no plugholes (or similar!)

If the sink is more than a few inches deep you might want to consider raising the surface of the compost up a bit so that the cress isn't too shaded and gets some light.

Alpines are often used for stone sinks, or houseleeks (not edible), just can't remember the latin name after 3 glasses of wine  :blink:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Stree

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 00:25 »
Sempervivums, and I had those in before. and saxifrage, which both did well, as did aubretia and violets. but I want to grow cress this time. there is drainage, each sink has a drainhole  and non are deep enough to cause any shade problems,
My concerns are the retention of moisture in such a shallow container. Would something like perlite or vermiculite be helpful in this, mixed with the compost of course.
Thanks for the reply Yorkie, sounds like the compost is a good base medium .

Stripey_cat

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 15:56 »
Perlite and vermiculite tend to increase drainage, in my experience.  Lots of organic matter, or those water-retention crystals will help.

xx
Cress, sorry its a stupid question.

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 12:26
by Beetroot queen
xx
Cress hog

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 27, 2014, 20:36
by RJR_38
xx
Cress

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 09:25
by JaK
xx
growing some cress

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 22:58
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 35 queries.