newbie chicken advice

• 6 Replies

andyf75

• Experienced Member
newbie chicken advice
« on: October 07, 2013, 14:36 »
Hi there,
Planning to get a few chickens (no more than 5) and am researching coops/runs etc and its all a bit overwhelming! We have plenty of space and the garden is enclosed with a 6ft fence but we would want to fence off a bit of garden rather than let them completely free.

I'm thinking get a coop with run attached to be the permanent fox-proof base and then fence off an area of garden to give them a bigger run during the day time (I know foxes could potentially be around then, but am guessing it would be a low risk. )

Any particular recommendations for a cheap-ish chicken coop? I know those really cheap ebay ones are supposed to be rubbish.

Thanks

Neelam

Re: newbie chicken advice
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 15:06 »
Well, I agree on the ebay statement about chicken coops...  :wacko:
Got one small there for my rabbits and it could be considered rubbish from Delivery on, poorly fixed what came pre-mounted and thin materials, the roof didn't fit at all and I had to take it apart and make it fit myself and without putting some bricks underneath the tray would fall off again and again even without any pet inside.

But there are some pages you might have a look at:
http://www.chickencoopsandhouses.co.uk/?gclid=CNSooazxhLoCFQbJtAodn3wA8g
http://www.eggshellonline.co.uk/chicken-coops.html?gclid=CMXwr5XyhLoCFZQZtAodRBMAJg
http://www.henhouseworld.co.uk/

andyf75

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 16:25 »
Thanks for the reply Neelam
There are certainly a lot of products out there
With these supposedly fox-proof coops like http://www.eggshellonline.co.uk/chicken-coops/buckingham-8ft-fox-proof-chicken-coop.html surely they could still dig under?

Neelam

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 18:05 »
A friend of mine had once a fox digging under her run that was almost 2 feet deep in the ground but luckily got disturbed and couldn't succeed. I would get a barrier in the ground or most probably put some mesh wire, fixed to the walls of the run, in the ground and get enough soil on top so the chicken can paw but nobody gets in easy.

ghost61

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 20:05 »
What Neelam suggests is exactly what we did. We have several foxes on site and they leave their calling card around the hen house each night. They cannot tunnel under and with fox proof wire on the run, the hens are safe. Fox has certainly tried to get in, as we have had teeth marks on the nest box area, so we nailed some anti climb spikes around it and since then no problem.

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 09:15 »
Heavy guage weld mesh around the run perimeter should help to deter digging and the grass soons grows over it so it does not look unsightly :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 16:29 »
You might find your local farm suppliers have wooden coops that are usually made locally.  We have a Farmway store near us and their coops/runs look really strong unlike the imports on most sites.  I think you are always better off waiting and saving up a bit more to get a coop/run that will last and save you money in the long run.  You could also consider making your own walk in run, the panels are quite easy to make and you can make it bigger if you need to in the future.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Newbie on here and chicken run advice please

Started by richinbish on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 21, 2009, 22:05
by poultrygeist
xx
chicken keeping newbie needs advice

Started by boosmummy on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 20:29
by boosmummy
xx
Newbie - Advice on chicken coop pleeease!

Started by sirius951 on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post November 21, 2010, 23:35
by sirius951
xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 39 queries.