Eglus - how portable are they?

• 2 Replies

jjmack

Eglus - how portable are they?
« on: July 08, 2009, 13:08 »
Ok, following my post a week or so ago re keeping chickens in a run etc (thanks for all the advice and comments it was excellent.) I am now thinking about getting an eglu (standard not cube) for my planned 3 bantams, and putting it inside a run, I think there was a pic on the eglu site somewhere. I will get a reasonable sized run and then let them potter in the garden when I am around.

The reason for an eglu is portability. Someone asked the qustion re holidays. i have someone to look after them as a neighbour keeps chickens, but my back garden is not accessible from the side. Any one coming in to feed etc would have to go through the house which is a pain due to the alarm etc. So I thought if i went down this route I could move them over the road to my friends which would make it easier for her to manage aswell. Is this feasible?

Also on the eglu site there is a pic of the eglu on a table to raise it off the ground. I like this idea as it gives some shelter for food and gets it away from rat.

Is there a small wodden coop that would aslo be light enough to move? i seem to be asking more and more but Iwant to get it right!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Eglus - how portable are they?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 13:21 »
Eglus are quite big but yes they are very portable and can be transported either in a hatchback/estate/van or carried over the road to your chicken sitter. If I only had a couple of hens I would have had one like a shot but knew I would want more hens and the cubes are out of my price range. Besides I would now need a couple of cubes  :lol: :lol: For three bantams an eglu would be just great  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

urban-chickens

Re: Eglus - how portable are they?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 13:58 »
I was going to have an egglu but in the end i did not, i went on ebay and got a coop. then after getting more chickens i then made my own!....... have to say they are not the most attractive but do the job!

xx
eglus

Started by Hick on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 09:29
by Dominic
xx
Portable Chicken Run

Started by Selkie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 19, 2008, 14:55
by Foxy
xx
EGLUS & OMLET

Started by Scribbler on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 09:18
by compostqueen
xx
Flies and Eglus

Started by violet on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 08:50
by violet

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 39 queries.