Letting chickens out of pen

• 6 Replies

gracie

• Experienced Member
Letting chickens out of pen
« on: March 22, 2011, 12:04 »
In the process of building pen, (dont have the chickens yet). I have an area of the garden that i grow my vegetables in, I am giving the chickens half of this area. I have today planted out the rest with primarily greens, (chicken heaven i believe). If i mesh the vegetable area off so the chickens wont get to it, will they still like to roam round the rest of the area. It is primarily a pebbled pathway, nettles round the back of a shed and some slabs, so only a small dirt area behind the shed really. I guess they will just love more freedom but just want to check they will get a lot out of it as i will have to get a gate for the area to stop them getting out to the main part of the garden.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Letting chickens out of pen
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 12:15 »
the more space they can get the better - although they always want more  ::). The nettles will attract insects and the birds will love that, and they will love scratching around the pebbles, but do make sure you make your veg growing area well secure as they will wolf them down. However when you dig the area over then let them join you as they love to get bugs and beasties out of the ground and any worms they see  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 12:45 »
Oh good, i was hoping it would be fun for them.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 20:19 »
Definitely fun!  My chickens often surprise me by heading off to places where I can't see there would be any attraction, but somehow they find bugs, snails, green shoots and interesting bits & pieces.  Generally I think they just love to explore, even if it doesn't always lead to a feeding frenzy (although it often does!)

Also anywhere they can get a bit of time out is good - if someone is being bullied or generally under the weather they will benefit from being out of sight of the others for a while.

As for dirt patches, mine love to dig holes and dust bathe, so dirt is good too.

If you get the opportunity, put a few extra bricks or pavers on the ground now.  Local bugs will make their homes under it, then when you have your chickens you can lift the paver and give the chickens a treat (not so much fun for the bugs though...)

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 22:48 »
Old carpet works to cover a patch of soil - supresses weeds before you dig over a new plot &/or encourags bugs and beasaties.

We have a small piece of carpet (about a metre square) which gets moved around the run at intervals: they always get very interested in the place where it's been lifted up from.
ManicMum

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 07:27 »
Great tips, thank you. Has anyone got any ideas of a naughty step for chickens that are bullies?

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 07:53 »
when you get a gate just bare in mind that they can jump/fly pretty high even with their wings clipped

xx
Letting my chickens roam?

Started by Feathers on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 27, 2009, 11:50
by Beano
xx
Letting the Chickens out this morning !

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 15, 2007, 18:29
by Aunt Sally
xx
Letting my chickens free range

Started by eggsfactor on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 22:50
by hillfooter
xx
letting chickens roam the garden

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

33 Replies
Last post August 29, 2009, 16:06
by grumpydad

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 36 queries.