Feeding growers in the flock

• 8 Replies

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
Feeding growers in the flock
« on: August 28, 2009, 10:35 »
I have seen good advice about keeping pullets on growers pellets until they begin to lay. But how do you manage this when they are running with the laying flock?
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Feeding growers in the flock
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 10:39 »
You can't ... but only because they won't listen to your instructions  :lol:

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 10:44 »
So you have that problem too? The other thing they don't do is answer civil questions, like where is the silkie hiding her eggs?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 10:49 »
No, I don't have that problem, I only have laying birds ...  they don't listen to me when I tell them not to eat my tomatoes or hosters  :lol:

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 12:02 »
can I just point out that grower pellets (unless organic) will contain an anti coccidiosis ingredient to the feed.  This should not be feed to layers as it will be present in there eggs. You should stop feeding at approx 16 weeks old and move on to layer pellets.
But always read the side of your feed bag it will tell you when to stop feeding (in weeks).

Edit: Er change spelling orgasmic to organic.  :wub:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 12:09 by Roughlee Handled »
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 12:27 »
your safer to feed them layers pellets, or what ever the layers are on . The pullets will still grow, Like RH says growers are not good for layers.

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 00:01 »
Thanks for all this. I asked because I remembered seeing recently, but maybe not on this forum and I can't find the info now, advice being given that giving layers pellets to pullets before they start laying can cause all sorts of terrible things. Although the terrible things weren't specified as far as I remember   ???

But I was planning to put them in with the big hens when they were about 12 weels old - there are logistical reasons for this honest, and I just don't see how you can tell them which food to eat! As RH points out I'd have to be very sure I wasn't using dosed feed.

I'll resort to my usual unscientific approach - they seem to thrive in spite of me  ::)

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 10:41 »
I'm currently having the same problem. I have the growers in a broody coop inside the main run. I let them out for a few hours a day and remove the growers food. I need to keep them on growers as 3 of the 4 are cockerels and as they are bred from a very nasty cockerel, who of necessity has now gone to the great hen house in the sky, I don't want to pass them onto anyone else; we or someone will eat them!

I have a teenage pair who were 6 weeks old when I got them and went straight from chick crumbs onto layers at about 5 weeks, I continued this and they are a fine looking, healthy pair. I also have friends who put all their young stock onto layers from the beginning and seem to rear lovely stock. I am not advocating this and have not done it with my babies but those that have seem to have great stock.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

agingchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 10:57 »
gosh I am so pleased to read this as I haven't been able to get hold of growers. My chicks are in with the big girls and are eating layers. I didn't know about not letting the hens eat growers so now I am glad I couldn't get the growers pellets. I was also worried that I was doing wrong by the young chicks giving them layers you have put my mind at rest
Diane
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

xx
Feeding Growers to Chicks

Started by Colernehens on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 16:32
by joyfull
xx
growers pellets v growers meal

Started by jennywren on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 15:42
by jennywren
xx
POL or Growers

Started by littlewitch on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 22:40
by littlewitch
xx
Age to add to flock

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 21:20
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 32 queries.