letting chickens roam the garden

• 33 Replies

JEZZIE

Re: letting chickens roam the garden
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2009, 11:53 »
My girls have the run of the garden (which is big) but spend most of their time sat by the back door, waiting for me.  When I got home yesterday, I put a dog guard up to stop them coming in, two of them just "fluffed up and sat down" by the back door. I always give them pasta at lunch time.  Now they just demand it - and watch out if I am late.
Not bad for hens that knew nothing other than the inside battery cage for the past 18 months...........dont you just love them.  Apart from the chicken poo that is  ::)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2009, 23:13 »
when we got home from the supermarket yesterday we had the dog AND the chickens running to greet us ...it was ace :D i love that they come when the are shouted and i dont think i will ever tire of seeing them come running up the garden....much better than being in thoes bloomin horrid cages

MaryLou

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2009, 12:36 »
It took me ages to let my last hens (which were my first) into the garden, and I was sorry I left it so long.  If they have a good sized run, I'm sure they don't mind being shut in when you're not home.  Mine didn't try to escape, they just wanted to come into the house so we had to rig up defences.  And my cat is terrified of hens! They do make a mess though.

grumpydad

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2009, 16:06 »
i leave the door to the run open most of the day when i am home, but generally, only give them treats in the run, i figured that by doing it that way, when i wanted to get them in, they would follow me in and i could shut the door easily, rather than chasing them round the garden.
seems to work ok, dont always use treats, i use the layers pellets trick as well.....sneaky i know, but they still think of it as a treat, watch them follow a raw corn cob.......

martytn

xx
Letting my chickens roam?

Started by Feathers on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 27, 2009, 11:50
by Beano
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
Letting new girls out into garden

Started by chickyroo on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 21:34
by chickyroo
xx
Letting chickens out of pen

Started by gracie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 07:53
by lucywil

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 38 queries.