What to do when you loose one :(

• 9 Replies

eveshamchelle

What to do when you loose one :(
« on: August 29, 2009, 05:05 »
I know I'm only a newbie to all this so, please forgive me if I get a bit emotional.

We've had our girls for a few days over three months and last night we lost one.  :(

It's now 4.30am, I guess you could say it's the morning after the night before.  I can't sleep and I've automatically gravitated towards here!  You've all been so helpful with my questions that it seems this is the only place I can be right now.

She was a Rhode Rock, everyone's favourite because she was so colourful and bright.  So friendly and cheeky, always first at the gate to see what treats you had or to see if she could be first to the pellets tub.  Always chatty and round your ankles, so it was so obvious when I let them out on Friday morning that something wasn't right with her.

She was the one I posted about most recently, she'd been broody (again) and I suspected she had laid the soft-shells I had found in the coop, but on Thursday she had laid a gorgeous - and quite large - egg and I started to believe she was 'back to normal' but Friday morning she was clearly very miserable, was wobbly almost, kept blinking and was  just stood by the water drinker and wouldn't stop drinking.  I rang the lady I got them from and she suspected gape worm (sp?) so following her advise, I got some panacure 10% into her, left her loads of water and some natural yoghurt and had to go to work.  Hubby came home at lunchtime and she wasn't any better.  By tea time when I got home she had made it into the coop and laid an egg (!!!) but was unwilling to move out the coop and I noticed her comb had fallen over.  I put her back with the water but she died yesterday evening.   :(   :(   :(   :(   :(

So, getting back to the topic title (sorry!) what do I do now with her?  I can't see myself burying her in the garden, mainly because I suspect she would be dug up and I couldn't bear that atall.  I can't really afford to send her to the vets for cremation although I honestly don't know how much that would cost.  I know she had a good life with us, I know that I did everything I could to make her happy and healthy.  I guess I just want this last thing I can do for her to be nice too.  But I don't know what to do.  I'd like to be able to stop crying about her, as I've still got two gorgeous other girls to look after. 

What have you done?  How will the other two be? Will they notice that she's gone? Will they behave differently?  Should I give them some panacre 10% too just in case? 

Sorry this is so long and rambling, it's just so hard to think that when I go down and let them out in a couple of hours, she won't be there.

8doubles

Re: What to do when you loose one :(
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 07:01 »
I think bury her in the garden , deeper than you normally dig and put a plant on top to mark the spot. Nature will do her stuff and she will be gone in two years.
Gapes is usually easy to spot with the open beak and difficulty breathing. Your hen may have had a heart problem and unless the other hens show signs of gapes i would not treat them.The other two will be fine as long as they have each other for company.

Ps Still get another one  :)

grumpydad

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 07:07 »
i would bury her, even though you are not supposed to.
we have lost 3 in the last month to diseases they should have been vacinated against, so we know how you feel.
i would only treat the others if you can see that they are ill, if not just give a tonic to help them stay on top form, poultry spice or life guard maybe.

martyn

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 07:18 »
Sorry about your loss, I too have lost recently so know how you feel. Keep a close eye on the others just to be sure.

Don't introduce just one new one as they will pick on it, always introduce in multiples. In an ideal situation I would only introduce new birds from one source only then if they have a problem you can go back to that breeder to ask for their advice.
joyfullxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

iwantanallotment

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 08:48 »
So sorry  :( I also know how you feel.

I'd wrap her up nicely and bury her deep, with some spring bulbs to mark the spot.
And get a couple more.

You didn't mention any symptoms of gape worm, so if the others are fine I'd leave them be.
Chin up, I know it's hard but you did your best for her and she was a happy girl. These things just happen  :(
l

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 09:37 »
I agree, bury her if it feels right for you, pop some broken flagstones or paving slabs and spring bulbs is a lovely idea! :)

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
Re: What to do when you lose one :(
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 09:56 »
Oh, you poor thing, I do feel for you.  I haven't lost a hen yet, but I lost my cat of over 15 years last month and I truly did think that my heart would break.

I would go with what everyone else says and bury her in the garden, perhaps in her favourite spot?  And plant something over the top to mark the spot.  And/or you can have a little memorial stone.  They make them especially for pets and they can be quite small and discreet.

If you really can't bear to bury her then it is actually not terribly expensive to have her cremated.  I had my darling Binky cremated and returned to me in a beautiful box, engraved with her name and dates, and it cost me £100.  And I went for the expensive option as I had her cremated individually and went for the expensive box!  And you will find, if your vet is anything like mine, that they are incredibly sympathetic.

You'll find these first few days after she has gone really hard (I am crying as I type this, remembering that horrible week I lost Binky) but let it out, cry as much as you want, walk away from anyone who says "But it was only a pet" (resist the temptation to punch them on the nose, much as you want to) and, really, time does heal.  You'll never think of her without affection, and maybe some tears, but it will get easier.

I'm sorry to go on about the grief aspect of this, and not help with the practical issues, but the loss of a beloved pet is still a very raw subject for me and I know exactly how you feel.

All my love x

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 11:14 »
So so sorry to hear of your loss :(. What do you think you would really like to do with her? Go with your heart. As said above perhaps burying with a nice plant would be something to remember her by. Dig deep and hopefully that will do the trick. It is so difficult when a creature that is loved dies, chicken cat or anything. You cant help but get attached. Just try to remember that the life you gave her was agood one and she was obviously a happy girl. Do get some more, it will help!
a mum is for life..not just for cleaning! ;@)

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 13:00 »
Sorry to hear of your loss, we have lost two and have one who may or may not be OK (1 week post prolapse but currently doing very well, but hasn't laid an egg yet since).  It isn't easy and you are entitiled to feel emotional.

The two we lost we buried about 3 foot down and neither have been dug up.

I would also agree with Oddpaws to do what you want to do with her, but don't be worried about her being dug up.

We haven't got more (we have some run problems at the moment) but we probably will.  I guess the concern if you have only 2 is that if another one should have a problem you then have one and they do like company.  I would get a couple more to keep your other girls company.

Jeanette

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 13:34 »
So sorry to hear about your loss ( big hug) When i lost one of mine i buried her deep and put a big pot with some nice plants in on the top. Your other girls will be fine, in time you might like to get a couple more girls but do it at your own pace and be kind to yourselve.
Remember she had a lovely life with you with the sun on her back doing what all chickens should do.

xx
Chicken on the loose

Started by slowef on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 21, 2007, 19:19
by slowef
xx
Loose droppings

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 18:37
by Topscaff
xx
Loose feather eating??

Started by avilla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 19:50
by Chrysalis
xx
Loose chickens on veg patch

Started by cooky on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 16, 2009, 14:55
by andreadon

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 40 queries.