spring onions

• 21 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
spring onions
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 18:51 »
Quote from: "BillinPA"
Even, regular watering is a must for onions, Spring or otherwise.  Not enough water and they will be stressed, wilt and mature poorly - too much water and they will tend to get root rot, or go all to stem and not bulb up.  They also prefer loose or sandy laom soils.

Also, most onion varieties prefer cooler weather in their developmental stages and tend bolt or die-over in hot dry weather.

Yes, I've managed all of that - root rot from the wet, too small from the dry and bolted from the heat. All in the same year :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Oliver

'spring' Onions probably in SPRING!
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2006, 09:41 »
Quote from: "john"
Quote from: "BillinPA"
...regular watering is a must for onions, Spring or otherwise.  Not enough water and they will be stressed, wilt and mature poorly - too much water and they will tend to get root rot, or go all to stem and not bulb up. ... I've managed all of that - root rot from the wet, too small from the dry and bolted from the heat. All in the same year :)

Oo-er. Well, not much chance of too much water.

The Spring Onions which she started off like Beanzie said have now been planted out. They are looking very fine and she has high hopes for them. She is being very patient.
(She doesn't eat spring onions raw in a salad, but likes to use the whole thing in Chinese-type dishes - white green and all - look nice and tastes lovely, so I suppose any old onion would probably do because she has no trouble getting them to grow from seed. Funny that.)
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
spring onions
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 00:52 »
Well Oliver, almost 8 weeks since you sowed them!! Are the Salad Onions ready?
Ah well ! There is always next year !

Oliver

Spring Onions
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 11:38 »
Quote from: "Beanzie"
Well Oliver, almost 8 weeks since you sowed them!! Are the Salad Onions ready?

Hello Beanzie - she has been 'out of action' for a bit - she has been making  a statue for the garden and now has plans to make a model of me!! So she needs to go and have a look how the spring onions are coming on. Fortunately it has been raining quite a bit here so they have been getting some water because HE forgets to water things - prefers digging! Last time we had a look they were quite small - sort of chive sized. But, MUCH bigger than they have ever been this early in their life.  They took nearly a year last year to get spring onion sized, so something is happening correctly! Will report back shortly. Bye bye. O

By the way, the (Centurion) onions are fantastic, as are the (Jermor) shallots, so alliums do like to grow in our soil. Except garlic that is - that was a TOTAL flop.

Edit: later on.  she has been to have a look at the Spring Onions. They are still quite small, but have a little white bulb on th end of the green bit. they have not been watered (as we suspected - He said 'what Spring Onions?, so that tells you). So will now keep them watered and hope they keep growing fo a bit.  Thanks you Beanzie. Will do the same next year.

compostqueen

Re: spring onions
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 15:34 »
I've grown the North Holland Blood Red spring onions again and they're doing very well. I've harvested three lots already - some really fat ones  :D 

iggyboy

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 16:01 »
Mr Fothergill is a numpty if he thinks spring onions are quick growing :tongue2: :D
...the night was dark...they usually are!

compostqueen

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 17:59 »
I sowed another tray today and then I'll transplant them into the plot. I have itchy fingers as it's pouring with rain and I can't get to the plot. When I do get to the plot I'll sow some direct. The last lot I did in a tray and transplanted have done brilliantly so hoping to repeat the success

xx
autumn planted onions lifted early for spring onions

Started by Lisbon67 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 20:49
by Annen
xx
overwintering spring onions and bulb onions

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 19:10
by sunshineband
xx
Spring onions

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 13:59
by hickorychickory
xx
spring onions

Started by upert on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 06:08
by dizzylizzie

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 38 queries.