Covering soil for winter to prevent weeds from growing. Do you recomend?

• 19 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Looks like I am the odd one out (nothing new there(never follow the masses))
One reason is those who do cover over winter tend to be the most complaining of slugs and snails the following spring as it creates a lovely protected enviroment for the to hibanate. Secondly during winter not that many weeds actually grow due to low temps.
I tend to use green manure which will out compete any weeds then dug in come spring.

Interesting that a simple question can have so many different answers... just shows the diversity of approach growers take doesn't it?

Oh yes, we often say to newbies dont ask 10 people the same question as you wll get 10 different answers  :D
Havng said that as I alwys say to my daughters "you dont know till you try it"!
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

snowdrops

No diggers just cover with composted mulch, there’s nothing for the slugs t & wood lice to eat so they b@gger orf. The worms dig it for you & all the micro organisms get to do their stuff without being disturbed
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 20:08 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
No diggers just cover with composted mulch, there’s nothing for the slugs t & wood lice to eat so they b@gger orf. The worms dig it for you & all the micro organisms get to do their stuff without being disturbed
Are you saying that you think, dug/forked over soil plus a covering of compost or manure, provide more food for slugs and wood lice, than the same thing on undug soil?  :unsure:
The worms & micro organisms also do their stuff under my covers, as well.

snowdrops

Are you saying that you think, dug/forked over soil plus a covering of compost or manure, provide more food for slugs and wood lice, than the same thing on undug soil?  :unsure:
The worms & micro organisms also do their stuff under my covers, as well.

No I’m not saying that, it’s the composted part of it that is key. I’ve used membrane in the past & probably will use it again but it does give a hiding place for them

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Ah, see what you mean now  :)

xx
Winter covering

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 27, 2013, 21:08
by shoozie
xx
Covering up for winter

Started by Longshanks on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2018, 17:25
by Dev
xx
covering winter spuds

Started by Jonajo on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 16:16
by Jonajo
xx
covering beds for winter ??

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 17:59
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 39 queries.