Slug gone? Sadly not...

• 10 Replies

Florablunder

Slug gone? Sadly not...
« on: May 30, 2018, 22:03 »
Feeling guilty about relying so much on slug pellets, I thought I'd try out some wool pellets as a barrier around my spinach and green bean seedlings at the allotment, and on some herbs in pots at home. Can't say I'm impressed with the results - I've lost half the seedlings already. Doesn't help that we've had torrential rain, so the slugs have probably just surfed onto the seedlings (lots of horrible orange slugs in the garden today). Anyone had better luck using these alternatives to slug pellets?

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Slug gone? Sadly not...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 22:25 »
I've used them to mulch my hanging basket toms in the polytunnel. No sign of slugs and they certianly help keep the moisture in the baskets. Unfortunately on the hotter days they smell like wet sheep.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 07:24 »
We got given a bag of slug gone only last week, tried around the lupins after they were getting gnashed by slugs and snails. So far so good but it's early days. TBH we wouldn't buy it because of the price. Beer traps are much more economical.

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 10:37 »
I tried them without success too Florablunder.    I have tried nematodes with no success either.  I now use the non blue ferric pellets to protect very young plants just after planting out if I am using enviromesh.

Other than that the plants take their chance.  This year seems not too bad, but it has been quite dry lately.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 14:43 »
Mmmm, but wait until it rains!  :ohmy:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

victoria park

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 17:33 »
I've done the copper thing in the past with little effect. The best defence is to plants vulnerable seedlings well away from shelter/bus stops for slugs. We've been lucky so far with the dry weather, and I find wood chip paths help a tad. I'm trialling an organic slug gel that is a barrier method rather than a bait, but I'm not hopeful, given the poor efficacy of the organic slug pellets that turn to fertiliser ( magic bullet ). I have already deployed a very few original slug pellets around things that really matter, like my sunflowers that slugs just won't leave alone without a few of the bad boys.
I still believe environmental design is the best way forward, but it can be so time intensive.
One more thing. I have found slugs aren't never ending hordes. If you cull a few one night, that seems to stop the whole thing for at least 10 days. Very very few pellets needed.

Florablunder

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 11:03 »
Thanks for the replies. Went up to the plot the other day and I've lost the courgette plant that I had put the wool pellets round. With the beans and spinach, some were ok, but others had been eaten. Before putting the pellets down I had gone round and killed all the slugs/snails I could find by the raised beds (and I have a pond!).
I may try the slug trap approach (or maybe a slug moat would be better!!). How deep does the trap need to be? And does it have to be sunk into the ground? And, what's the cheapest beer that will whet the mollusc appetite??

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 16:16 »
Would a layer of bark chippings help especially in dry weather as they would be rather harsh to slime over when dry? They can deplete the soil of nitrogen as they decompose but a bit of feed would solve that. Putting any preventative measures by the stem doesn't help when the leaves spread out and get near the ground so perhaps some sort of collar around the stem to hold it up?

honeymelon

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 23:30 »
This year I have a lot of problems with slugs, they are eating my asparagus which never happened before. I hardly needed slug pellet until this year. they destroy half of my friend's seedlings. Also something ate the leaves of my carrot and beetroot, It might be rabbit. this year has been difficult. 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 08:27 »
The RHS is conducting experiments to find out how effective (or not) 5 different non-chemical slug deterrents are - the bad news is that the results won't be available until the autumn:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44357663

I had hopes that the relatively harsh winter would have reduced the slug and snail numbers in my garden somewhat, but unfortunately the surrounding privet hedges seem to provide the perfect shelter and breeding ground for them, and numbers this year are as high as ever.  :(

Barrier methods don't work for me, especially when they get wet - it's no use perhaps deterring the odd one when there are armies of them slithering out of the hedges towards my veg beds whenever it's damp.  :ohmy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 12:28 »
How about crushed egg shells?

Was out with the dog a couple of evenings ago , crossing a crop field path  , hundreds of the blighters out for an evening munch!! 
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

xx
Slug control for allotment - Slug gone or wool loft insulation?

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 14:32
by composthappens
xx
Slug gone

Started by SocksOn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 23:31
by Kirpi
xx
Slug Stoppa - NOT

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 23:33
by penninehillbilly
xx
New Slug Killer

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 12:07
by Lupin lurcher

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 51 queries.