Geordie Yorkshire Bitter

• 15 Replies

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
Geordie Yorkshire Bitter
« on: October 30, 2016, 21:22 »
With my ale supply getting dangerously low Im trying a new brand today. I normally go for coopers but my local home brew shop recommend Geordie Yorkshire Bitter, as he's never steered me wrong in the past I thought I'd give it a go!
I jazzed the basic recepie up a bit and substitute 400g of the Brewers sugar for 500g of Medium Spray Malt.
I spent 3 times the time it took to make the brew cleaning my equipment but I always seem to do that.... I'll be bottling in a week or so (or so it says on the tin), it smelled great going into the brew bucket so I'm really looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Figured crossed!

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
Re: Geordie Yorkshire Bitter
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 11:05 »
An here's the kit in all its glory  :D
geordie.JPG

hamstergbert

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 21:29 »
If you fancy something a little different I can heartily recommend the Woodfords range, especially their Norfolk Wherry brew, boosted with a goodly hit of additional spraymalt.   (Their kits are a two tin for forty pints affair, with everything in there - no sugar to add apart from whatever you prime your bottles or keg with)

For something a bit heavier ('Goblin style) their Norfolk Nog is out of this world.  I admit I like to tweak that also with a (smaller) boost of spray.

And no, I don't got shares in them (wish I did), just find I no longer feel the need to stray beyond their varieties to other brands.

Just about to crack one from my spring brew.  Colour me content!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 09:10 »
If you fancy something a little different I can heartily recommend the Woodfords range, especially their Norfolk Wherry brew, boosted with a goodly hit of additional spraymalt.   (Their kits are a two tin for forty pints affair, with everything in there - no sugar to add apart from whatever you prime your bottles or keg with)

For something a bit heavier ('Goblin style) their Norfolk Nog is out of this world.  I admit I like to tweak that also with a (smaller) boost of spray.

And no, I don't got shares in them (wish I did), just find I no longer feel the need to stray beyond their varieties to other brands.

Consider this added to my Christmas list! I love dark ale's!

woodefordes-norfolk-nog.jpg

grinling

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 21:31 »
think I also need to add that

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 09:08 »
2 hours of cleaning and 30 minutes of bottleing later and this is what I have to show for my hard work  :D
bottled.JPG

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 10:07 »

Quick question, what spray addition do you make to the Log? I freed up a brew bucket last night and I think there may be a trip to the brew shop this week!

hamstergbert

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 12:53 »

Quick question, what spray addition do you make to the Log? I freed up a brew bucket last night and I think there may be a trip to the brew shop this week!

Sorry for delay in responding.

I generally find just about 250-300g of Muntons dark spraymalt is more or less right for the Nog, 400g of the Muntons light or medium with the Wherry.

Have done both on occasion with no additions at all and both still better than many kits just at that!

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 20:12 »

Sorry for delay in responding.

I generally find just about 250-300g of Muntons dark spraymalt is more or less right for the Nog, 400g of the Muntons light or medium with the Wherry.

Have done both on occasion with no additions at all and both still better than many kits just at that!

Thanks for the advice :)

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 20:14 »
2 hours of cleaning and 30 minutes of bottleing later and this is what I have to show for my hard work  :D

This is the worst bit about home brewing..... I hate waiting for the first sampling! Another couple of weeks and I'll crack one open I recon..... Just to see how it's getting along ;)

grinling

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 13:53 »
storage is another prob esp with the demijohns everywhere

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 18:55 »
Well, its been living in glass for far too long in my opinion..... time to give this ale a test drive!

IMG_1571.JPG

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 18:57 »
Verdict...... stonkin drop!

IMG_1575.JPG

ghost61

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 07:23 »
Ever tried brewing from scratch rather than kits?  Hubby just brewed a saison and a blackberry porter.  He used to do kits but believes his own brews are much better - but then he would wouldn't he?   :D

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 16:50 »
Ever tried brewing from scratch rather than kits?  Hubby just brewed a saison and a blackberry porter.  He used to do kits but believes his own brews are much better - but then he would wouldn't he?   :D

Id love to give all grain brewing a go, I want to try and grow some hops this year aswell, I tryed in the summer and failed!
Moving from kit cans to all grain in one step seems quite scary so I may try partial extract first, maybe with hop additions and work my way up to all grain brews  :D

xx
Geordie Bitter - First batch gone wrong!

Started by MidlandBrewer on Homebrew

9 Replies
Last post January 13, 2017, 08:55
by Barry C
xx
Bitter home brewing

Started by n.b83 on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 20:48
by Jay Dubya
xx
Home brew bitter kit

Started by EastBelfastMark on Homebrew

12 Replies
Last post February 07, 2013, 14:18
by chris172
xx
Brown and mild, light and bitter...

Started by Growster... on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post April 01, 2015, 14:03
by crh75

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 40 queries.