chicken coop and run plans

• 8 Replies

tomboy

chicken coop and run plans
« on: December 18, 2009, 20:51 »
I have just recently become a member of allotment and vegetable garden. I also have just been given an allotment in my village, so at the age of 70 I have become active with the allotment again. My last allotment was over 50years ago,( lost interest when I left school after discovering new hobbies ie beer and Girls). So am very rusty on allotment and building chicken coups and runs both  I had and loved when a boy.So I am hoping to build a run and coup capable of holding 3-4 chickens not only for myself but for my grandaughters also, who are going to help me both on the allotment, and caring for the chooks. So I am asking if any one who knows where I can download plans for me to build the coup and run, and with any advice you think might help me. If you can help I will be very grateful and in the same token if you can not thank you anyway. tomboy
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 22:20 by noshed »

francais

• Experienced Member
Re: chicken coup and run plans
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 21:29 »
Sorry Tomboy my DIY skills are zero :( but just wanted to say hi & welcome :)

They are a really friendly bunch on here and am sure the ladies & gents will be able to offer you some great advice  :D
Toni

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: chicken coup and run plans
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 21:56 »
Hi Tomboy good hobbies you had, very similar to mine at that age  :lol:

Chicken runs need to be as big as you can make them, preferably I'd try to give them at least 2msq/ bird ( 2sq yds in proper) more if you can give them the room.
I'd build the run so you can walk in, unlike mine where you have to take the roof off to get in
(bad move) 
If you could put a cover over even better, save the soil getting wet & smelly in the rain.

Wire needs to be dug down below the fence,  a good 6-8" preferably 12".  On the subject of wire the weld mesh stuff is best, a lot of members have lost hens with the old fashioned chicken wire the fox can chew through that stuff.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

RichardH

Re: chicken coop and run plans
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:43 »
Hi Tomboy! I'm no expert, but perhaps the photos of my coop building saga might be of help? Here they are. I would second the suggestion to make the run roof high enough to walk in to - my design does mean it's hard to get in to clean out the run area (though they don't spend much time in there, thankfully).

cheshirecat

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 14:29 »
Hi Tomboy and co, just been following your adventure with the hen coop.  It looks great.  Well done.  Wish I was into diy but im a bit long in the tooth to start now!  I am replacing my coop and run with a new one which someone is building for me.  I must admit I was thinking of having the run low, but after reading your comments will have it made high enough to walk into.

One query someone might be able to advise me on.  The positioning of the coop will make it dificult to access an external nesting box.  Am thinking of having an internal box made which can be removed for cleaning.  Is this ok?  Also I quite like the idea of the 't' shaped perches Tomboy made, anything negative to say about these?  Thanks in anticipation.  :)
Max.

karlooben

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 17:16 »
tomboy wouldnt it be easier for you to just get a shed from somewhere depending on how many birds you want a 6' 4 shed will be plenty for  up to 8 - 10 birds .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 17:24 »
 OH made all mine. What I don't understand is, why use shiplap?? we use ply on all ours...it is smoother, so none of those little ridges for poop and/or the dreaded RED MITE to lurk.

We kind of made a square run, one end is the garden fence two wire sides, and door and wire front. its probably about 8' x 12'  , put clear corrugated roof sheets over the top, and then the coop just freestanding in the pen.

It means I can go in with them, they have lots of room, and can sit up high to crow!  I do still lock them in their coop each night, but as each coop is within an enclosed run, if I am late (dont get home from work til 6.30) they should be safe.

I have got around 30 that just run around the garden, all the odds and favourites and retirees, 6 cockerels (but they'll have to go if they start to fight as they mature :()

OH just put doors on my extension (3 new pens for my new silkies, red, blue and cuckoo), I cant wait til they start to lay :D

saturday cleaning is gonna take about an hour longer though. :( wish there were some local kids who want to learn chook care, and earn some pocket money :D
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 17:43 »
Hi Tomboy

Problem is most of the sites that have plans want to sell them to you, try a Google search for 'free chicken coop  plans'  or have a look at everybodies piccies then draw a plan using the best bits of 'em all. Welcome to the site and Good Luck.

The grandaughters will love chooks around nearly as much fun as cats.
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

tomboy

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 21:07 »
thank you one and all for all the advice given to me, i will take all on board. and a special thank you to richardh for the pictures an plans, the front and back 1170.mm but is the side/depth  700mm thank you tomboy.

xx
Chicken coop plans

Started by Togger on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 06:50
by joyfull
xx
Chicken Coop Plans

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 20:10
by beth123
xx
Coop Plans

Started by Celtic Eagle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 31, 2008, 01:44
by nnbreeder
xx
Chicken Plans

Started by Heltor Chasca on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 20:14
by Heltor Chasca

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 35 queries.