Cheap cane connectors...

• 13 Replies

Growster...

Cheap cane connectors...
« on: July 04, 2013, 06:27 »
This doesn't really warrant a 'Machinery', post, it could make a 'Frugal' post, but I've put it here, as I'm still getting over how simple it is, and it applies to nearly everything which is growing.

Cut a 6" length of garden hose, poke in a cane of any length at each end, bend it any way you want, and you have an instant framework for netting!

That's it!

Everyone knows that tying two canes with twine will snag the net the moment you try and cast it over! We've used those cane connector balls, and they're pretty good, but the canes do fall out every now and then!

We're trying wigwams for all the blackcurrants while they're fruiting, and also the peas which are getting a seeing-to from the pigeons, as there are spare canes all over the place which is unruly!

Any old hose will do for the joiner, but I have found that a section of plastic pump hose is stronger, and gives a more casual bend!

Goal posts next, (three canes) and also there's a way to cross them over, so a net doesn't need any side pieces to support it.

Anyone else got any designs?

allotmentann

Re: Cheap cane connectors...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 07:05 »
What a fantastic idea, so simple. I shall be using that. :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 07:07 »
Nice idea that Growster, but this will make it not for the growing board.

Anyone else got any designs?

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 09:22 »
That's a good idea!  And what a great way to use up the  cheapie hosepipe I bought which turned out to be too small for the tap. :)
Anne

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 10:30 »
Fully understand, Arugula - I hope the title does the trick anyway!

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 10:35 »
Ann - 'times two' - it really seems to work, and I wonder/kick myself/beat my head into the ground like a tent-peg, why I never thought of it before!

I'm looking forward to making a low arrangement - say - a foot off the ground, for veg like lettuce, carrots etc, as this will use up all those broken bits left over from last year!

I reckon for a structure about three ft high, it shouldn't be difficult just to tie a cane lengthways but slightly shorter than the distance between two goal posts, and suspend it a few inches on the string, so that again, the canes don't snag the net.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 15:13 »
Any a good use of an otherwise redundant leaky hose (which I am the proud owner of  :lol:)

Hannah :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 15:34 »
I used some black water pipe a few years ago but longer hose on shorter canes for my brassicas, then put the netting over.

But now I used debris netting and make it tall enough to go inside, but how do you do the cross over growster?

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 20:05 »
I used some black water pipe a few years ago but longer hose on shorter canes for my brassicas, then put the netting over.

But now I used debris netting and make it tall enough to go inside, but how do you do the cross over growster?

Grans, it depends how petite you are!

I'd reckon on doing several 'goal posts', i.e. with three canes and two connectors, and also, if they're not tight in the ground, then try and create a central connection as my reply at 10.35.

My idea of a crossover consists of two small goal posts, plunged in the soil and looking on plan like the Scottish Flag, and therefore enabling you to drape a net over the plants. You may want to tie the canes with string where they cross over in the middle.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 20:10 »

My guess would be pipe on one wrap  round the other then cable tie or tape :) ( sorry for butting in )

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:55 by mumofstig »
I cook therefore I grow

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 06:12 »

My guess would be pipe on one wrap  round the other then cable tie or tape :) ( sorry for butting in )

You're not butting in at all, Rog, that's a great idea!

I was wondering when tape would come into the discussion, because I was working on a theory that for one season, a few inches of duct tape would be the answer, so we're all agreed!

Nice one!

edit to clarify quotes
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:56 by mumofstig »

composthappens

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 16:35 »
You can also use hoola hoops, and make them curved at the top like a polytunnel lolol. i think poundland sells them.  ::)

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 19:54 »
Great idea CH!

The last time I ever got into a hula hoop though, was about 1962..;0)

I reckon any cheapo hose will do, especially the old stuff which has holes all over it - we've got so much of that!

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 20:49 »
I used your hosepipe idea to keep the eryngium?! (that blue thistley thing that falls about all over the place)from falling across the path.  A longer length of pipe, 12 to 18 inches, a cane in each end stuck in the soil on either side of the plant. Looks good and works well.  :)

xx
Cane toppers....

Started by Geordie on Frugal Living

19 Replies
Last post July 30, 2012, 11:54
by mobilekat
xx
cane pokes in ya eye , not here

Started by muntjac on Frugal Living

17 Replies
Last post March 02, 2007, 21:35
by Axe Victim
xx
cheap cheap

Started by flowergirl on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 19:11
by flowergirl
xx
Cheap ?

Started by woodentop on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post November 24, 2008, 20:03
by woodentop

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 36 queries.