what should i do???

• 4 Replies

lisa80

what should i do???
« on: February 04, 2010, 08:56 »
hi all ,i am looking for some advice :)blossom one of the birds i was given by a friend is a small (maybe even smaller than bantam) cross breed there are some pics on one of my old threads.she was hand reared and is very friendly ,but upon me entering the pen yesterday she was even more friendly than usual.As i was coming out of the coop egg box in one hand and an egg in the other she flew up on to my back!.I must admit i panicked ::) as i had both hands full ,she made no noise and there didnt seem to be any aggression but to be honest its not something i want happening too often.The question is should i clip her wings to stop her being able to fly up???? I had a bad experience with a cockerel attacking my son  not so long ago and am just getting my confidence back :) bless her im sure she didnt mean any harm, but suggestions on what to do would be great :)

Foxy

Re: what should i do???
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 09:04 »
I expect there is some natural "flightiness" in her owing to her breeding. Wouldn't  worry sounds like she was just a bit excited :)

lisa80

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 10:43 »
hubby said she probably just wanted to pirch on my shoulder :)must admit ive never really gotten close to her i know my daughter hand feeds her so maybe i should try to form a friend ship of sorts she is so lovely her 2 sisters are not so tame .the only way i can tell them apart is when blossom starts following me,and shes just started laying so will see what shes like when its cleaning time at the weekend .might even get a cuddle :D

grumpydad

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 13:39 »
not all chucks get to be that tame, we have 2 out of 4 that hand feed, i would encourage it, unless you really dont want her to be too friendly, but if she is that way inclined, there may not be anything that you can do, she just likes her mum.

chooksbury

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 21:14 »
Have to admit the first time Matilda jumped onto my back and laid her head on my shoulder I was a bit alarmed ... but she was just trying to get in on the action .. as I was giving Lucy a cuddle.  Now if I'm cuddling one (great for warming the hands) the other two come and stand on my wellies and do little jumps to ask "me too me too".  Get them feeding from your hand .. as tame and friendly as possible.  That way, if you have to handle them for medical reasons for eg, it wont be so traumatic for either of you !

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 39 queries.