Food storage tank to water butt conversion...

• 7 Replies

HelenK

Food storage tank to water butt conversion...
« on: May 15, 2009, 15:16 »
Hi all,

My wonderful driving instructor has managed to get me one of those blue food storage tanks for nothing, I'm aware we need a tap kit which is about a fiver and some silicone sealant for the hole.

Anyone got any tips on fitting it etc?

Thanks in advance,
Helen

poultrygeist

Re: Food storage tank to water butt conversion...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 20:51 »
Find someone with long arms ! :D

I had to virtually climb inside our one to fit the tap, but make sure someone else is holding the outside bit  :)

Other than that, Piece of cake. And place it on some breeze blocks so you can get your watering can under the tap. :)

Rob 8)

Weatherwatcher

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 22:27 »
Hi all,

My wonderful driving instructor has managed to get me one of those blue food storage tanks for nothing, I'm aware we need a tap kit which is about a fiver and some silicone sealant for the hole.

Anyone got any tips on fitting it etc?

Thanks in advance,
Helen
Drill suitable sized hole into tank. Remove connector’s nut and washer. Thread weighted line through connector (head to tail) Drop line inside drum to exit through hole. Slide connector down string, exiting via hole. Replace nut & washer. Cut off barbed end for a standard garden hose connection.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 00:56 »
This guy is a bit boring but he has all the facts on tap sizes, etc and how to install things.

nvWginV0el4feature=related

Weatherwatcher

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 01:26 »
He's not only boring but he'd have you spend a fortune on something that takes very little effort, time and money  ;)

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 15:31 »
Not sure what you mean by spending a fortune  on this...the parts are the basic ones needed to make a water butt useable and not blow apart under pressure from the water, which can be almost explosive as one fellow found out. The tools used in the video are tools that most people have or can borrow from a neighbour. The long-handled whatsit is a necessity if you have a fixed lid, as the one in the video was. Most barrels have removable lids and you can simply lean inside to affix the connector at the bottom. The excess runoff line at the top needs to be a reasonable size and firmly fixed in as a heavy rain can easily blow it off otherwise. One inch of rain can easily fill 10-15 average butts in one go, and that's a lot of pressure in a short period of time so parts need to be in tight.

If you feel it can be made cheaper still here's another one for you, but I guarantee nothing  ;)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTwuicxxPA0&feature=related 

Weatherwatcher

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 19:19 »
I stand (sit?) corrected on that one. I was looking at it from the point of view of having runoff from a house roof by tapping into the downpipes. You can get things called divertors which fit into the downpipe with a piece of garden hose running from that to a rain barrel. Once the rain barrel is full, the rainwater then simply resumes flowing down the downpipe as per normal. No overflow pipe needed. Also, I was thinking of the original post as simply asking how to fit a tap to the bottom of the waterbutt so it could be used for watering.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 19:22 by Weatherwatcher »

HelenK

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 14:25 »
Thanks very much for all your replies. Wouldn't you know it, after all the fuss and excitement getting a blue barrel we went down to the site at the weekend and a lovely lorry driver had dropped off about 25 barrels as he thought they would be useful!

If you're out there, thanks Mr Lorry Driver man!

xx
Water butt

Started by Jeanieblue on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 14:26
by Jeanieblue
xx
water butt

Started by dimbutnice on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 14:29
by Neezy13
xx
water butt free

Started by Madame Cholet on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post April 28, 2015, 21:19
by Madame Cholet
xx
What to use for a water butt stand?

Started by Petite graine on Frugal Living

12 Replies
Last post July 18, 2008, 09:46
by Code Numpty

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 37 queries.