treading

• 5 Replies

bastonjock

• South Lincolnshire
treading
« on: May 14, 2011, 14:06 »
i have a light sussex that has lost quite a few feathers due to over amourous cockerells,two cockerells have been arguing over her and as a result she has lost feathers.

What can i do about it? I was thinking of putting her out or reach of the cockerells for a while untill her feathers grow back.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: treading
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 16:31 »
you can buy poultry saddles (loads on ebay) or remove the cockerel to give all the girls a break  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 20:35 »
Certainly do as Joyful suggests by either removing her from the cockerels or giving her a saddle but you could also have a good look at the cockerels spurs. If they are very pointy they can damage the hen and remove feathers. Use some fine sand paper too round off the tips or if they are very long use a hack saw to remove some of the spur being very careful not to cut too low and make it bleed. Then use the fine sand paper to round off the edges.

Orchardlady

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 00:00 »
How many cockerals do you have, and how many hens?  It may be that you need to balance the ratio a bit to make sure the attention is spread around.

bastonjock

• South Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 23:21 »
I have eight hens and two cockerels,i tried to separate the sussex by putting her in with the silkie on their own but she started on the silkie and as the silkie is sitting on eggs,sussex is back out in the other coop.

Helenaj

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 07:13 »
I've just purchased a poultry saddle from Ebay and it cost in total £6.25 and was delivered the next day. It's soft and waterproof and does the trick. Putting them on though requires two of you, otherwise you end up wrestling with your hen which does neither of you any good. Check regularly that it is not rubbing anywhere and also that there are no little "squatters" on your hen as the close fitting coat may exascerbate the problem.

xx
Feather loss due to treading

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 15:12
by OpiumEater

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 38 queries.